Mother's Day is right around the corner and this Dutch Baby Pancake would be the perfect recipe for a Mother's Day Brunch.
This is the best Dutch Baby pancake! It's made in a cast-iron skillet and only uses 5 simple ingredients. Serve it sweet or savory for breakfast or brunch. Top it with fresh fruit and maple syrup for the perfect Mother's Day brunch idea.
What is a Dutch Baby Pancake?
The Dutch baby pancake is an eggy and fluffy popover pancake made in a cast-iron skillet. It’s also known as a German pancake, even though this is actually an American recipe.
It’s made with a simple batter and it’s great any time of the day: breakfast, brunch, lunch, or as a dessert.
This recipe goes great with my Egg in the Hole with Burst Tomatoes or my Poached Eggs with Hollandaise Sauce.
This beautiful pancake puffs up real tall in the oven and then, deflates a little once it starts to cool down. The edges are tall and crusty brown and so delicious.
This easy recipe calls for 5 basic ingredients in the batter:
- All-purpose flour
- Whole milk
- Salted butter
Add all the ingredients to a bowl and then using a mixer, mix well until the batter is frothy. The frothier the batter, the more your pancake will puff when you cook it.
Pour the batter into a super hot cast-iron skillet and bake in the oven on high heat at 450F. The pancake puffs as it cooks.
Add berries and dust the top of the pancake generously with powdered sugar. Cut the Dutch Baby into slices and serve warm with maple syrup.
Mother's Day Brunch Ideas
- Blueberry Buckle from Art of Natural Living
- Chef Salad Kebabs from Palatable Pastime
- Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Tacos from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Dutch Baby Pancake from Jen Around the World
- Hawaij Spiced Coffee Cake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Rainbow Salad with Tandoori Dressing from Magical Ingredients
- Sourdough Strawberry Muffins from That Recipe
- The British Bloody Mary from Karen's Kitchen Stories
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Dutch Baby Pancake
A delicious light and airy eggy pancake topped with fresh fruit and powdered sugar then drizzled with maple syrup.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for dusting
- 1/2 cup of mixed berries (blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries)
- Maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, eggs, milk, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter and blend with a mixer until smooth and frothy.
- In a 10 or 12" inch cast-iron skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter over high heat on the stovetop until foamy.
- Add the batter and immediately put the skillet in the oven.
- Bake until the pancake is deep golden brown in color and puffed up on the edges, about 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and give it about 5 minutes to cool down. Top the pancake with berries and powdered sugar. Slice and serve and drizzle with maple syrup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 223mgSodium: 454mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 12g
Sunday 5th of June 2022
I love a good Dutch baby for breakfast or brunch. This looks delicious with those berries on top.
Friday 13th of May 2022
Definitely on my long list of must try recipes!
[email protected] of Natural Living
Tuesday 3rd of May 2022
This is one of my very favorite breakfasts!
Sunday 1st of May 2022
I've never made a Dutch baby before but it sounds easy enough and looks delicious!