Do you love that Subway Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread and wish you could make it at home? No worries! I have the perfect recipe for you. This is the best Italian bread you will ever make. It is foolproof and works every time.
Each loaf is covered in shredded cheddar cheese and Italian seasoning.
Is there anything better than pulling a warm, beautiful golden brown loaf of bread out of the oven?
I am ecstatic to share this recipe with you, especially because ANYONE can do it! If you are new to bread making, I promise you that this one is the perfect bread to start with.
How to Make Subway's Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread recipe
Here is the list of simple ingredients —
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable, canola, or olive oil
- 6 cups of flour (I use all-purpose, but you can sub out bread flour for a chewier texture) – I do not recommend using whole wheat flour for this recipe
- 1 beaten egg + 1 tablespoon of water for egg wash
Prep the Bread
Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water along with the sugar. Mix well and set aside for 5 minutes to give the yeast time to bloom.
In a stand mixer, mix the dry ingredients along with the oil and 2 cups of hot water with the dough hook attachment. Once you mix this up, add the yeast mixture and knead with the dough hook for 5 minutes. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can mix this in a large mixing bowl. Make sure you do not have a sticky dough. If it is sticky, add a little more flour.
Shape the Bread
Now, dump the dough on a floured work surface. Cut the dough in half. Then cut each half into half, and then cut each of those in half. You should end up with 8 equal pieces of dough. This will make very large loaves. If you want smaller loaves, go for 16 equal pieces of dough.
Lightly press each piece of dough into a rectangle, and then roll up tightly lengthwise. Tuck the ends under. The bread does not have to be perfect. They will rise and puff up perfectly.
Place the loaves on a baking sheet. Allow them to rise for 20 minutes. Then, use a very sharp knife or a bread lame to score the bread with 3 slits on top.
Mix the egg and the water to create an egg wash. Brush the top of each loaf with the egg wash. Then, sprinkle on a bit of garlic powder, some shredded cheese, and Italian seasoning. You could even sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top also.
Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and allow the bread dough to rise in a warm place for another 10-15 minutes. then bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Once the loaves are done cooking, allow them to cool to room temperature before slicing and using them.
This makes a great flavorful bread that you are definitely going to want to make. If you want a recipe that tastes so much like the real thing, this is it. It will make your taste buds sing!
How to Make an Amazing Sandwich With This Bread
There are so many great options you can create with Subway's Italian Herb bread. Choose your favorite sandwich fillings like mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and a little vinegar and oil on top.
Slice the cheese bread open making sure to leave the back side together. Top each bread with some sliced chicken breast (my favorite deli meat). You can add other meats also.
Next, add your favorite cheese. I like Monterey Jack cheese or Sharp Cheddar Cheese the most.
You can also create an herb sauce using all your favorite flavorful herbs and drizzle that over the meat and cheeses.
The last step is to close the bread and enjoy your favorite sandwich!
Freeze the other loaves until ready to use. The next time you want a good toasted sandwich, remove it from the freezer, baste it with a little butter, and wrap it in aluminum foil. Heat in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Other Uses for Subway Italian Herb Bread
There are so many good options and ways to use this bread in your Italian cuisine. Slice the bread and turn it into garlic bread. Other options is to chunk it up and serve it with Olive oil dipping sauce (my favorite way to use it).
The next time you are craving one of these sandwiches, no need to hit up the Subway restaurants. Simply make your own at home.
- Easy Nutella Bread from Hezzi-D's Recipe Box
- Gifts in a Jar: One Hour Whole Wheat Bread from That Recipe
- Homemade Garlic and Herb Swirl Bread from Blogghetti
- Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread from Jen Around the World
- Japanese Milk Bread with Furikake from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Methi Makki di Roti from Magical Ingredients
- Sourdough Charcuterie Flatbread from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Check Out These Other Delicious Bread Recipes
- 2 tablespoons of instant dry yeast
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 2 cups of hot water
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 6 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 beaten egg plus 1 tablespoon of water for an egg wash
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning
- Dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup of warm water along with the sugar.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add 2 cups of hot water, salt, oil, and 3 cups of flour. Mix well.
- Now, add in the yeast mixture and the other 3 cups of flour. Mix well with the dough attachment.
- Let the mixer run for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured surface. Cut the dough into 8 equal portions for footlong style bread or 16 equal portions for 6" subs.
- Lightly press each piece of dough into a rectangle and then roll up tightly lengthwise.
- Place the loaves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow them to rise for 10 minutes.
- Now, score the top of each loaf with 3 slits.
- Allow the bread to rise for 20 to 30 more minutes.
- Brush the top of each loaf with the egg wash. Then sprinkle on the cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g