This Simple Classic Chili is a basic recipe for a simple classic chili. It's made with lean beef, two different kinds of beans, and a pantry spices to make this classic chili perfect for the big game or any get-together.
One of our favorite go-to meals around here, when the weather gets super duper cold, is my Simple Classic Chili.
I always get a craving for chili around this time of year. It’s a comforting, easy meal that I can add to anything — I can add some to my nachos, on top of a slow roasted baked potato and even spaghetti
So when that craving kicked in last week and Stephen and I was discussing what to make for dinner, I suggested chili. Of course, I knew he would be on board.
How to Make Simple Classic Chili
The base of this chili starts with a can of tomato sauce and ground beef. That's it. The rest is up to you! I add in a few spices here and there (and of course some garlic), but there are so many things and ways you can kick this chili up!
I love cooking our chili in this huge Lodge Dutch Oven. It cooks everything evenly and is big enough I can make a double batch.
This is a super simple recipe, so if you’re a beginner cook, no need to worry! You’re gonna nail this recipe! Here are a few extra tips to make sure this chili comes out perfectly:
- This chili is great and you can use ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey in it. I have even used ground pork before!
- You can bump up the healthy in this and add in some quinoa as I did in this recipe.
- If you are not sure you like spicy chili, use less chili powder. I like ours spicy so I always add in extra to boost the heat level more.
- Use chili ready tomatoes if you want extra flavor in your chili. I like the RO*TEL version but Hunt's makes one too.
- The cook time of the chili all depends on how soupy you want it. Watch the chili and when it gets to the desired consistency, remove it from the heat. I like mine thick, so I let it cook for the full 60 minutes. But if you like it runnier, it should be done by 45 minutes.
And there you have it! A simple, classic chili that you can build upon! Do you like making chili? Let me know if the comments below how you make yours.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 TBSP Chili Powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can chili beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can RO*TEL Chili ready tomatoes
- Shredded Cheddar for serving
- sour cream for serving
- Fritos for serving
- Place the ground beef in a large pot and throw in the garlic. Cook over medium heat until browned.
- Drain off the excess fat, and then pour in the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt.
- Add in tomatoes and both cans of beans.
- Stir together well, cover, and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes overly dry, add 1/2 cup water at a time as needed.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust as you need to. Top with onions, cheese, and sour cream.