This post and recipe for my Creepy Cauldron Cupweres were created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
I love making fun and festive cupcakes and these cauldron cupcakes perfectly fit the bill! Kayla was super creative with these. I cannot wait to share with you how we made them.
The fun thing about making these cupcakes is that the possibilities to decorate are endless. The best way to get started is to lay out all of your ingredients and go from there — and that is how these cupcakes came to life.
How to make Cauldron Cupcakes
For starters, you need cauldrons. I bought mine on Amazon. Once you get them in, you will have to cut the rims off with an Exacto knife. If you don’t, your cupcakes won’t fit into them.
To make the cupcakes, you need to choose a dark-colored cupcake liner. I love these from Sweets and Treats Shop. They are dark gray and the color stays bright which is perfect to have them blend in with the cupcakes.
We used a boxed yellow cake mix to make these cupcakes. Kayla took and split the batter up to create two Halloween colors — bright green and purple. We used Adams Extract food coloring to create bright colors.
My daughter rocks when it comes to being artistic with our food.
To get purple, you just mix blue and red until you get the desired color. For the green, you use yellow and green to achieve a brighter green color.
Then, just pour them in the cupcake liners and bake them. Kayla did a swirled cupcake so she added both purple and green to each cupcake liner.
Then she just used a toothpick to swirl the colors.
Once the cupcakes are done baking, allow them to cool and then push them into the cauldrons. Leave a little headspace so the cupcake can be removed from the cauldron easily.
For the icing, we used Wilton’s buttercream recipe and tinted it green with Adam’s Extract Food Coloring. We used Wilton piping bags and piped the icing onto the cupcakes.
Once you get the icing on the cupcakes, that is where the real fun begins!
We used all kinds of decorations for these cupcakes including these gummy hands from Treat Street!
We also used sprinkles from Shop Sweets and Treats, eyeballs and finger candies from Wilton, and even more sprinkles from Wilton.
These were really fun to put together and it was super awesome to get creative for a change. You can make these cupcakes anytime you want — just a few simple ingredients and your kiddos will LOVE these cupcakes.
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon Imitation Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- mini plastic cauldrons
- Various colors of food coloring
- sprinkles and decorations from Wilton
- Make the cupcakes according to the package directions.
- While cupcakes are baking, you are going to make your buttercream.
- In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
- Gradually add milk or water; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- If frosting seems to thick for piping, add a little more milk until you get the consistency you want.
- To tint the frosting, add green and yellow food coloring to achieve the color you want.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and then decorate with all the different decorations you can.
- The possibilities are endless!
Wilton 710-2055 Halloween Test Tube Sprinkle Set, Assorted
Nonpareils Sprinkles: Lime Green
Midi Sugar Pearl Sprinkles: Lime Green
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 160mg Carbohydrates: 36g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 27g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g
Happy Halloween! It’s October which means it’s time for Spooky Season and this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 2nd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 41 fantastically talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 160 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away a “Dinner and Dessert Set” – ONE 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, a Pyrex mixing bowl set plus some fun Dixie Crystals items like a Dixie Crystal Apron and Cookbook!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Peppermint, 1.5oz Almond, 1 bottle vanilla cinnamon sugar, 1 bottle pumpkin pie spice
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Texturra 7-Piece Bakeware Set
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away a large baking box of goodies! Sweets and Treats will send one lucky winner a large assortment of sprinkles and lines and other samples of their products!
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a set of Holiday Treat Decorations (1 Gummy Assortment, 1 Marshmallow Snowman, 1 Toy Solider and 1 Gingerbread Men)
Prize # 6– Litehouseis giving away the following: 1 Litehouse® Honeycrisp Apple Cider, 1 Litehouse® Old Fashioned Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Pumpkin Spice Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Butterscotch Caramel & 1 Litehouse® Chocolate Dip, Snack Packs
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 7th – October 13th at 11:59 PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, Treat Street USA and Litehouse! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Pet Ghost Pudding Cups from Big Bear’s Wife
- Hocus Pocus Cupcakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Monster Strawberry Cupcakes from 4 Sons R Us
- Chocolate Day of the Dead Cake from Pastry Chef Online
- Small Batch Pumpkin Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
- Bloody Red Eyed Velvet Cupcakes from Our Good Life
- Zombie Dirt Cups from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cauldron Cupcakes from Jen Around the World
- Caramel Apple Blondies from Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Candy Corn Sprinkle Cookies from Daily Dish Recipes
- Halloween Hash Snack Mix from Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Blossoms from For the Love of Food
- Hocus Pocus Cake Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Ghostly Freakyshake from Lemon Blossoms
- Pumpkin Cheese Ball ~ Festive Halloween Cheeseboard from West Via Midwest
- Candy Corn White Russian from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Monster Pumpkin Spice Caramel Cream Cheese Dip from Katie’s Cucina
- Spiced Chocolate Monster Truffles from My Sweet Zepol
- Halloween Bat Sugar Cookies from Intelligent Domestications
- Bloody Good Cherry Chip Bundt Cake from The Baking Fairy