One of my favorite snacks are these delicious homemade cheese crackers. They taste better than any cheese cracker you can get at the store. And the best part is you know exactly what is in these crackers!
This recipe comes from an old cookbook that a friend of mine owns. She let me borrow it to look through it and I ran across a bunch of different cracker recipes. This one just really got me all excited because I LOVE cheese crackers.
It only takes 5 ingredients to make them — which are all pantry staples in your home.
Start by shredding your cheese.
Now here me out — do not buy the pre-shredded cheese. Seriously — buy the block and shred it yourself. The pre-shedded stuff has some kind of plastic coating on it that messes with your recipes, so shred it yourself.
Then take all your ingredients and throw them into your Kitchenaid mixer (or whatever you have on hand to mix it with).
Make sure to let it mix until everything gets good incorporated. When you pull your beater up, your mixture should resemble this —
Lay your dough out and mold it into a round dough ball that is sort of flat.
Between two pieces of was paper, you are going to start rolling it out. It will take a bit to get it to the right thickness. You might have to split your dough in half and do it in two batches.
Keep going and going and going until your dough gets to about an 1/8 of an inch thick. Then cut them into tiny squares using a beveled cookie cutter (i had to use my fondant cutter because my pizza cutter has died).
Once you get all the squares cut, poke holes in them using a toothpick.
Take them and place them on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
These delicious crackers are amazing! You won't be able to stop eating them.
How to Make Your Own Homemade Cheese Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons coldunsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 7-ounce bag grated extra-sharp 2% reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional, but recommended
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- Combine flour, butter, cheese, salt, and cayenne in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until crumbly. Pulse in water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together. (You may not use all the water.)
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap, press into a disc, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick silicone mats. Set aside.
- Place dough between two pieces of parchment paper. (It’s sticky!) Roll to ⅛-inch thickness. Carefully flip dough in parchment over, and gently peel off the top layer. Using a pizza cutter, trim dough into a rectangle, then cut into 2-inch squares. Carefully transfer squares onto baking sheets, using a spatula if needed. Space them about ½" apart.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until crackers are just slightly turning light brown, and are crisp. Quickly cool and taste one for crispness. If they are not crisp, bake just a few minutes longer. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If crackers are soggy after storing, re-crisp them in a preheated 400º oven for 3 to 5 mi
Wednesday 8th of September 2021
can these be frozen?
Wednesday 8th of September 2021
I would say no. Since they have flour in them, they would probably get soggy if you froze them.