This recipe for Lemon Poppyseed Cake is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
If you been around here for very long, then you know that one of my favorite flavors to cook with in both savory and sweet dishes is lemon.
How to Make Lemon Poppyseed Cake
Today I am sharing a recipe for another lemon dessert. If you have ever had lemon poppyseed bread, then you know how awesome the flavors are together. Imagine getting that in cake form then topped with a lemon cream cheese icing?
The cake is a made from scratch cake mix and flavored with lemon and poppyseeds.
This cake starts with mixing together the butter and oil.
Then, beat that with some sugar and vanilla extract on medium speed until the mixture lightens in color and gets a fluffier texture, about two minutes.
Of course, my favorite sugar to use has always been Dixie Crystals.
Once you get that completed for this cake, you’ll add the eggs, then alternate adding the dry ingredients with the milk and fresh lemon juice.
Finally, you’ll add some lemon zest and poppy seeds.
After the cake has baked and you have cooled it down, the final step is to decorate with that delicious lemon cream cheese frosting.
Then add a sprinkling of poppy seeds on top with slices of either fresh lemon or candied lemon for the perfect light and tart lemon dessert.
You can store the cake in the fridge and it will allow the cake flavors to marry together even more.
For the cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
For the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz cream cheese, room temperature (2 blocks)
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 10 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a stand mixer or a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Add the butter, oil, sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Be sure and make sure it is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
- Pour in the milk and then the lemon juice to the batter and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds and gently stir to combine.
- Bake in a 9x13 baking pan for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to it cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, add the cream cheese and butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the lemon juice and zest and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Frost the cake as desired and then sprinkle on some poppy seeds and top with fresh lemon slices.
- Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve. The cake is best served cool from the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 1gSugar: 58gProtein: 4g