If you are looking for a delicious recipe that has a bite tart of lemon, these Pioneer Woman Lemon Bars are what you're looking for.
In the past, I have made Ina Garten's lemon bars.
They are delicious as well, but the Pioneer Woman Lemon bars have a thinner cookie bottom and the lemon is more tart.
I love making these lemon bars several times during the year. I started making these during the summer, but hey — the winter and the holidays is a good time to make these as well, right?
How to Make Lemon Bars
Making lemon bars start with a deliciously soft shortbread cookie crust. If you have ever made any kind of bars or cookies before, this is the normal shortbread crust that is used.
For more delicious lemon bar recipes, be sure to check out this post that over 37 different lemon bar recipes in it.
The shortbread crust will look like a crumbly mess when you press it into a 9×13-inch buttered dish. But, trust the process. It will come together in a snap.
While the shortbread crust is cooling you can make the lemon curd. Now, you can opt for using store-bought, but making homemade lemon curd is simple and easy.
Do I need to keep my Pioneer Woman Lemon Bars in the fridge?
Since lemon bars are essentially custard, they should be refrigerated. However, they are fine to keep out at room temperature for the day.
How long do lemon bars keep?
Lemon bars can be kept for about 4 days. After that, they tend to get a little mushy. Be sure and eat them all within 4 days!
For a different take on these bars, try my friend Liz's Lemon Cream Bars. They look fantastic!
Looking for More Delicious Desserts Like This?
- How to Make MIlkshakes Without Ice Cream
- Praline Pecans
- Lemon Lavender Scones
- Strawberry Lemonade Bars
- Frozen Lemonade Pie
Pioneer Woman Lemon Bars
These bars are full of tart lemon flavor and a delicious cookie crust.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 Cup) Salted Butter, Cut Into Small Cubes
- 1-1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 4 whole Large Eggs
- Zest And Juice Of 4 Medium-sized Lemons
- Powdered Sugar, For Sifting
- For the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch pan with butter. If you want a thicker crust, use a 9x9 pan instead.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the butter to the bowl and use a pastry cutter to cut it all together until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Press into the prepared pan and bake until golden around the edges, about 20 minutes.
- For the filling: Stir together the sugar and flour. Crack in the eggs and whisk to combine.
- Add the lemon zest and juice and mix until combined. Pour over the crust and bake about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, then sift powdered sugar over the top before cutting into squares.
- Store leftover lemon bars in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 3g
Friday 3rd of March 2023
I made these with my grandkids, they loved them! I used the food processor for the crust. I was a little worried the crust might be too thin in a 9X13 pan, but it was perfect. Thank you!
Saturday 4th of March 2023
You are so welcome! I am so glad you liked it.
Friday 23rd of December 2022
These lemon bars are the best! The perfect balance of sweet and citrus!
Tuesday 27th of December 2022
Tuesday 13th of December 2022
can these be frozen? if so, is there a special process
Wednesday 14th of December 2022
I bake them and let them cool completely. Once they are cooled, I cut them and freeze them between individual pieces of parchment paper.
Tuesday 6th of December 2022
I'm not a big fan of lemon desserts but I had a bunch of lemons so I thought I'd try something. I was blown away at how amazing these are. Fabulous. I've never had such a hard time sharing my baked goods.
Wednesday 7th of December 2022
They are definitely delicious!
Friday 25th of November 2022
These are amazing! My family loved them!
Saturday 26th of November 2022
So happy to hear that!