The other day I was watching Food Network and The Kitchen was on. Jeff Mauro was on there talking about his favorite way to eat chicken was dressing it up like a Pepperoni Pizza, and it totally intrigued me.
Then my daughter had seen a recipe from Half Baked Harvest talking about the same thing, and I knew it was time for me to give this idea a try!
But, for this recipe, I went to my local artisan shop and found this pizza sauce that they recently started carrying, and it is delicious!
How to Make Pepperoni Pizza Chicken
To begin with, you are going to take your chicken breasts and coat them in a Parmesan/Italian Seasoning crust mixture.
Then fry them in a cast iron skillet until golden brown on both sides.
Your chicken will not be fully cooked at this time. You are just searing it and getting both sides a good color on them.
Now, take your pizza sauce and pour over top of your chicken. Top that with some mozzarella cheese and then you can either use mini pepperoni like I did, or you can use big pepperoni pieces.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. Then, place the chicken under the broiler for 5 minutes or until you get a golden brown crust on the mozzarella cheese.
This recipe is perfect as a stand alone entree, or you if you want, you can serve it over pasta or even in a sandwich roll as well.
I like to serve this with a side of my roasted broccoli and a big salad.
And more than anything, I love that this is basically a one pan dish!
Looking for other delicious chicken dishes? Try these out!
- 2 tablespoons of Olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1 package of pepperoni slices, mini or regular
- 1 16 oz jar pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Pound the chicken breasts to even thickness, if needed. Season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- On a plate mix together ½ cup Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic.
- Coat the chicken on all sides.
- In a cast-iron skillet, add the olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Brown the chicken for 2 minutes per side. Remove the skillet from the stovetop.
- Pour the pizza sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese.
- Top each with a few pieces of pepperoni.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and cheese is bubbly.
- Place under the broiler for 5 minutes to brown the cheese to your liking.
- Rest for 5 minutes and serve with pasta or eat as it is!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 513Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 1054mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 54g