This easy poppyseed chicken casserole is full of chicken flavor and is a quick and easy meal to put on the table. The buttery cracker topping really sets it over the top.
If you haven’t heard of poppy seed chicken casserole, you’ll be thanking me for introducing you to this amazing 30-minute meal.
I didn’t know about it until I had it at church one night many years ago. I had never heard of this dish, but one bite snagged me and I wanted to know how to make it.
This dish comes together quickly and the best part is that you can swap out the chicken for turkey and you can use gluten-free crackers if you need to make this a gluten-free dish.
How to Make Poppyseed Chicken Casserole
For this recipe you will need —
- Cooked chicken or turkey
- Sour cream
- Cream of chicken soup
- Crushed round crackers
- Poppy seeds
Start by adding to a sauce pan, your sour cream, cream of chicken soup, 1/2 can of water and some salt and pepper.
Heat on medium low until everything comes together.
Mix the chicken in with the sauce and place in a 9×13 casserole dish.
Crush your crackers and mix together with the poppyseeds. Sprinkle all of this on top of the chicken mixture.
Top the crushed crackers with a whole stick of butter sliced into pats and then bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until the cracker topping is browned.
What can I Serve with Poppyseed Chicken Casserole?
The poppyseed chicken casserole dish you just made is going to be the star of dinner, but trust me when I say that your side dishes you serve make all the difference in the world.
You can also serve a loaf of my Cheesecake Factory Honey Wheat Bread as well to round out this perfect dish.
- 3 cups of boneless cooked Chicken
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/2 can of water
- 2 sleeves of Ritz Crackers
- 1 stick of butter, sliced into pats
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Shred boneless chicken and toss into a medium bowl.
- In a saucepan, add sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and water. Mix well until heated through on medium.
- Pour over chicken and mix together.
- Spread chicken mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl combined crushed Ritz crackers and poppy seeds. Mix well.
- Spread cracker mixture over chicken mixture.
- Top with pats of butter
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes until the top is golden and the mixture is starting to bubble.
- Serve Immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 19g