Do you love the Alice Springs Chicken from Outback?
Here is the ultimate copycat version that tastes just as good as the real thing. This is the perfect copycat Outback Steakhouse recipe.
I have been having a lot of fun lately making copycat recipes of some of my favorite restaurant foods.
If you have missed any in this series, you can check those recipes out here —
- Outback Steakhouse Brown Bread
- Outback Steakhouse Blooming Onion
- Cheesecake Factory Key Lime Cheesecake
- Cheesecake Factory Honey Wheat Bread
- Sonic Strawberry Limeade
- Olive Garden Salad Dressing
- Cheesecake Factory Bang Bang Chicken
- Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Hooters Fried Pickles
- Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
- Rafferty's Hot Bacon Dressing
For me and my family, it is a lot of fun to visit a restaurant. We fall in love with their food and then come home and make our own copycat versions. That is where this delicious Alice Springs Chicken recipe comes from.
Alice Springs Chicken is marinated in a very flavorful honey mustard marinade and then grilled to perfection. Then, you top it with fresh cooked mushrooms, crispy bacon, more honey mustard sauce, and then topped with Colby jack cheese. After that, just pop it under the broiler and melt the cheese for the perfect weeknight dinner.
My husband loves going to Outback Steakhouse and ordering this chicken. It is one of his favorites so I knew I wanted to practice at home until I found the perfect recipe.
How to Make Alice Springs Chicken
To start with, you need to create the perfect marinade which consists of
1/2 cup of Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of mayonaisse
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Remove about 1/4 cup of the marinade to use as a dipping sauce later and set it aside.
Mix it all together and then place the chicken in a ziplock bag. Let it marinate for an hour. Once it is done marinating, remove it from the bag and place it on a sheet pan and sprinkle with a little lemon and pepper.
Grill on the grill allowing the chicken to char a bit on the outside. The internal temperature of your chicken should register 150-160.
While the chicken is grilling, cook your bacon in a skillet or in the oven. You can also cook your bacon on a microwave safe plate. Set aside to cook once it is done.
Remove the chicken from the grill. Set it aside for a moment while you prepare your mushrooms. If you have people in your home that hates mushrooms, you can totally leave them off. I still prepare them but just put them on the side for those of us who love mushrooms.
Top each chicken with some of the bacon pieces.
Now, top each chicken with the shredded Colby jack cheese. If you are going to add mushrooms, add them on top of the bacon before adding the cheese. As the cheese melts, it will keep everything in place.
Place under the broiler and allow the cheese to melt. It usually takes about 1-2 minutes for it to get ooey gooey and melted to perfection.
Now, serve with the reserved dipping sauce for the most amazing dinner you will ever make!
For the Marinade
- 1/2 cup of Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
For the remaining dish
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 8 ounces of baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 cups of shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- In a ziplock bag, add in the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the sauce and set it aside as your dipping sauce.
- Add the chicken breasts to the zip lock back and shake to coat completely. Place in the fridge to marinate for one hour.
- Preheat your grill to 350-400 degrees. Cook chicken until the thermometer reads 150-160. Set chicken aside.
- While chicken is resting, cook your bacon. Once it is done, cut bacon strips in half.
- Add butter to a skillet and cook your mushrooms around 5-7 minutes on medium-high or until lightly brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Turn your broiler on.
- Top chicken with mushrooms, bacon, and then cheese. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove the oven and plate chicken. Serve with reserved dipping sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 639Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 1205mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 53g