This condiment is perfect on just about anything — on top of brie cheese, piled high on a juicy hamburger — or even served over pasta. The possibilities are endless.
How to Make Spicy Bacon Onion Chutney
Once the bacon is done, remove it from the pan and set it aside. Once it is cooled, chop up in large chunks.
Add in your thinly sliced onion and begin to saute.
There is nothing better in this world than bacon and onion when cooked together.
Cook the onions until they are soft and caramelized. Once the onions are cooked tender, add in the chopped pickled jalapeno and the juice that goes with it.
Cook for a few minutes and then add in the chopped bacon and let everything marry together.
Next, add in brown sugar, vinegar, and salt and stir to combine well. Let the sugar melt and create this amazing sauce. The sauce will thicken as it cooks down.
When it is done, you will have this gorgeous sauce to put over anything. We used it on top of a wheel of brie and ate it with crackers. It was one of the most filling lunches we have had.
This has quickly become our favorite condiment for sandwiches, appetizer toppings and more. If you don't like it spicy, simply omit the jalapenos and then you will have more of an onion jam instead of Spicy Bacon Onion Chutney.
Looking for more sauces and dips? Check Out these recipes
- Cook bacon strips in a cast-iron skillet or skillet of your choice on medium until the strips are cooked and crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Do not discard bacon grease.
- In the same pan, add your onions and saute until they are cooked and caramelized about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the jarred jalapenos and juice and saute for 5 more minutes.
- While that is sauteing, chop bacon into roughly chopped pieces. Add back in with the onions.
- Now, add in the brown sugar, the vinegar and salt, and pepper. Cook for a couple of more minutes until sugar is dissolved and sauce thickens a bit.
- Use as a condiment on sandwiches or as we did on a wheel of brie!
- If you are using on a wheel of brie, slice the top off and pile on the chutney.
- Place in a 300-degree oven for about 5 minutes to soften the cheese. Enjoy with crackers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g