Blueberry Pie is a unique classic dessert that is a favorite with everyone! I make this with fresh blueberries, a lattice crust, and a sugar topping that is to die for! It's the perfect holiday dessert you can have ready in just an hour!
I love making pies! Over the course of the last couple of months, I think I have made about 15 pies — all different varieties. I even made mini pies for a couple of events I had to go to. My top two favorites out of all that I made were the Cherry Pie and Apple Pie. But none tops The Best Blueberry Pie ever.
The crust is crunchy, the blueberries are sweet, and the pie is perfect for sharing with family and friends. If you need a holiday dessert, this will be one of the ones you will not want to miss out on!
How to Make Blueberry Pie:
This pie recipe is so simple and easy, almost like a dump-and-go pie. If you use my double-crust pie pastry recipe, you will WOW all your friends with your lattice-making!
- Start off by washing your blueberries and placing them in a bowl
- Then, in a large bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and ground cinnamon and pour this over the blueberries
- Now, take your bottom crust and line a pie pan with it, then pour the pie filling into it
- Cut pieces of butter and set them on top of the filling
- Make the lattice for the top of the pie
- Mix together water and an egg to make a wash and then brush it over the top of the lattice
- Mix egg with water and brush on pie crust then sprinkle on sugar.
- Now, bake the pie on the middle shelf of the oven for about 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
How to Make Lattice Top
Lattice tops look fancy and difficult, but honestly, they are so easy to make. Here's how I do it.
- Roll out your dough and cut it into ½ to ¾ inch strips. I like to use this pastry cutter that gives it a scalloped look
- Then, lay about five of them vertically across the top of the pie, and make sure that they are evenly spaced
- Fold every other strip in half, making sure not to let the dough stick to itself
- Take another strip of dough and lay it horizontally across the pie over the vertical strips that are laying flat, leaving the folded ones alone
- Roll the folded strips flat and fold back the ones that are now covered by the horizontal strip
- Once they’re flat, lay another strip horizontally across them
- Keep doing this until you have half of the pie covered
- Turn your pie so that the unfinished side is towards you and repeat this process until the entire pie is covered
Check out these other delicious blueberry recipes
- Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- Lemon Poppyseed Blueberry Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Quick and Easy Blueberry Sauce
The Best Blueberry Pie
Blueberry Pie is the classic dessert favorite made with fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- Homemade double crust pie pastry (or store bought)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coarse sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash the blueberries and place them in a medium bowl.
- Mix the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon, then sprinkle it over the blueberries and mix them together gently.
- Make the pie dough. Separate into two discs. Wrap them and place the pie dough in the fridge for an hour.
- Remove one disc from the fridge and roll it out to about 1/2" thickness.
- Now, line the pie dish with the pie crust.
- Pour the berry mixture into the crust, and dot it with butter.
- Remove the other pie dough from the fridge and roll it out to 1/2" thickness.
- Cut the remaining pastry into ½ - ¾ inch wide strips, and make a lattice top.
- Place the pie in the fridge for 30 minutes so the pie crust can chill.
- Mix the egg with the water and brush on the pie crust then sprinkle on the sugar.
- Bake the pie on the middle shelf of the oven for about 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to rest for several hours so that it can gel together properly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 2g