Of course, if you are like me, you will crank that AC down to 65 degrees during the hot summer and early fall days and make it anyway!
We first discovered this soup during one of the many tailgating parties we used to attend. We themed every party and so on this night, it was crockpot soup night. Every one of us (about 10 in attendance) had to bring a different soup.
I think I brought broccoli and cheese soup that night. I honestly had no idea that there could be so many soups out there! This was during the time when I was just learning to cook so I was excited to learn some new recipes.
Anyway, Stephen and I started sampling all the delicious soups and when we came to the White Chicken Chili, we both looked at each other and said at the same time –“We need to make this soup.”
This White Chicken Chili is full of white beans, chicken broth, warm spices like cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper. The diced green chilies add another layer of flavor and then you chock it full of roasted chicken breasts. Top it off with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream for an epic soup taste you will not ever forget.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 bone in chicken breasts boiled and shredded
- 1 small can green chiles
- 2 boxes chicken broth, or you can use your own stock
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of great northern beans
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sour Cream, for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
- Put oil in the bottom of soup pot.
- Add onion. Cook until tender
- Add garlic and green chiles. Cook for 1 minute. Stir so you don't burn the garlic!
- Add cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Stir so as not to burn the garlic.
- Add chicken broth and beans.
- Add shredded chicken and 1 cup of the Monterey jack cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer on the stove for about 30 minutes. Then enjoy!
- garnish with fresh cilantro and sour cream.