This Blackberry Basil Balsamic Brie with Sweetened Pecans is the perfect appetizer or snack when you want something that looks fancy, but is simple to make.
Say the name of this recipe 4 times real fast!
Yesterday, I got in a load of blackberries from a friend, so while I was gone to my hair appointment, my daughter whipped up this simple snack for us.
This snack has the perfect blend of basil flavor, fresh blackberries, and a touch of balsamic vinegar. It all pairs so perfectly well together.
Then, she topped it with some sweet toasted pecans. I could not have asked for a better lunch/snack idea!
How to Make Blackberry Basil Balsamic Brie with Sweetened Pecans
To make this dish, you need to start with a wheel of brie. Whenever we make any kind of brie recipe, we always make sure to skim the top skin layer off.
When doing this, you will be able to melt the cheese better.
Then, set this aside on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
In a saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of blackberries, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of water, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. For the vinegar part, you can use other flavors of balsamic, but for this one, we just used regular flavor.
Now, add everything to a sauce pan and mash it. Cook it down until it is thickened and reduced. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
Once it is done, add two basil leaves and let that steep in the blackberry sauce until ready to use. When you are ready to use, remove the basil leaves and discard.
Now, let's toast those pecans
Once you get the blackberry sauce done and have set it aside, grab your chopped pecans and let's toast them.
You will need 1 cup of pecans, 1/4 cup of sugar, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of butter.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, toast the pecans for a minute or two or until you can smell the fragrance of the nuts. Be careful not to burn them.
Now, add in the rest of the ingredients and cook until the sugar is melted. Remove them from the pan to a plate and allow them to cool.
Now, let's assemble this delicious dish!
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Take the brie that is on the baking sheet and top with your blackberry basil sauce. Then sprinkle the pecans on top.
Now, place in the oven for 5-10 minutes to allow the cheese to soften and warm through but not melt all the way. Nothing is worse than completely melted brie.
Serve with crackers and enjoy!
Check out these other delicious brie recipes
- Prosciutto and brie and honey topped crackers
- Brie, Apple, and Honey Crostini
- Spicy Bacon Onion Chutney over Brie
Perfect Pecan Recipes
- Blackberry Basil Balsamic Brie with Sweetened Pecans from Jen Around the World
- Coconut Pecan Cookies from The Spiffy Cookie
- Green Cabbage, Apple, Fennel, Watercress, and Pecan Salad from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Maple Pecan Tassies from That Recipe
- Pecan Pie Chiffon Cake from Hezzi-D's Recipe Box
- Pecan Tart from Art of Natural Living
For the blackberry sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of blackberries
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 basil leaves
For the Toasted Pecans
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 wheel of brie cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Skim the top of the brie cheese, removing the layer of rind. Place the cheese on a parchment-lined baking sheet and set it aside.
- To make the sauce -- In a saucepan, combine the blackberries, sugar, water, salt, and balsamic vinegar.
- Mash everything together and cook over medium-high heat until the sauce has thickened and reduced by about 1/4.
- After it has cooked, throw two basil leaves in and let them steep for 10 minutes. Once the sauce has steeped, remove the basil leaves and discard them.
- To toast the pecans -- Add the pecans to a skillet and toast the nuts over medium-high heat until you can begin to smell them. Do not burn the nuts.
- Now, add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the sugar is melted through. Remove the nuts from the pan and lay them on a plate to cool.
- To assemble, top the brie cheese with the blackberry sauce.
- Then, top with the toasted pecans.
- Place in the oven to warm the cheese through -- about 5-7 minutes. Remove and serve with crackers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g