Braised Apple Cider Chicken – Delicious dinner idea made in your dutch oven. Flavors of apple cider and braised chicken slow-cooked in a flavorful and tangy broth.
The broth when thickened makes an amazing glaze for the braised chicken.
Apple cider and chicken in a pot cooked together screams fall to me. Not only that, but spoon on some caramelized onions and cider-soaked golden raisins and you have my attention.
What's in the Apple Cider Gravy
The gravy is flavored with apple cider but also two kinds of vinegar — apple cider vinegar and white wine vinegar. Both are needed so that it cuts through the sweetness of the apple cider.
What Kind of Chicken Should I Use for This Dish?
For this recipe, chicken thighs work best, but you can use bone-in breasts, as well as the legs this Braised Apple Cider Chicken dinner recipe.
Put a sear on your chicken if you can. My skin did not do as well as I wanted it to, but I did get a sear on what skin was there.
In a large dutch oven, add some olive oil and heat on medium heat. Place the chicken skin-side down and sear until the skin gets crispy. Then remove the chicken from the pot.
To the same dutch oven, add the sliced onions and cook until soft and tender. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.
Now, add in the apple cider and both vinegars as well as the spices and allow them to deglaze the pan.
Add the raisins and cook on high for 5 minutes or until the sauce has cooked down some. Add the chicken back into the pan and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
Creating with Apple Cider
- Apple Cider Bundt Cake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Apple Cider Old Fashioned from Art of Natural Living
- Apple Cider Pull Apart Rolls from Magical Ingredients
- Apple Cider Syrup from Devour Dinner
- Braised Apple Cider Chicken Dinner from Jen Around the World
- Cider-Glazed Chicken with Brown Butter Pecan Rice from The Spiffy Cookie
- Hard Cider Fondue Cheese Dip from Palatable Pastime
- Mulled Cider Cookies from That Recipe
Check Out these Other Delicious Chicken Dishes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2lbs of bone-in chicken with skin on (thighs, legs, and breasts)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 cup of apple cider
- 1/2 cup of golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In the dutch oven or cast-iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt. Sear the chicken, skin side down, until the pieces are golden brown. Remove them from the skillet and place them on a plate until later.
- Take the sliced onions and add them to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until they soften and turn a golden brown. They will look caramelized.
- Add the garlic, pepper, and paprika. Mix together and cook for about a minute.
- Add in the apple cider and both vinegars to deglaze the pan.
- Add in the golden raisins and turn the heat to high to boil. Boil for 5 minutes until the sauce has reduced.
- Add all the chicken back into the pan and cook in the oven uncovered for 25 minutes or until the chicken is done to 160 degrees.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Take the chicken out and scoop out about 1/4 cup of the liquid. Add the two tablespoons of cornstarch to the 1/4 cup of liquid.
- Mix well and then add back to the pot. The slurry will thicken the sauce making it a gravy. Pour over your chicken and then serve to your family!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 468mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 37g