Buffalo Chicken mac and cheese — the perfect side dish filled with that delicious buffalo chicken dip flavor but in mac and cheese form. You will not be able to eat just one bite with this hearty dish.
One of my favorite appetizers is my Buffalo Chicken Dip. That hot sauce flavored cheese dip has my heart, so when my daughter took our favorite dip and turned it into this amazing mac and cheese dish — my tastebuds were jumping for joy!
Not only is this the perfect side dish for any occasion, but if you are like me, you will be able to eat this as a main dish as well.
Ingredient List for Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
To make this recipe, you will need a few things —
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Hot Sauce
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheese
- Ranch Dressing
- Salt and Pepper and a few other spices
For this recipe, we pulled the chicken off a rotisserie chicken and set it aside. Make sure to throw the skins and the bones away. We won't need those.
To ensure you have regular-sized chicken bites throughout your mac and cheese, simply chop up the chicken after you pull it off.
For the pasta, we used elbow noodles. You can make your own using my homemade Pasta Noodles recipe. However, if you are short on time, you can totally use the store version.
Let's Make Some Pasta!
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes (or until the mixture turns light brown).
Remove from heat and gradually pour in the warm milk, whisking constantly.
Return the pan to heat, whisk another 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Add the block of cream cheese and let it melt into the mixture
Add the salt, garlic powder, mustard, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Now, add your cheeses, the hot sauce, and the ranch dressing. Mix well. Add in the chicken.
Cook your pasta noodles. Drain the noodles. Now, mix the pasta with the buffalo chicken sauce. Combine it all together and pour it into a 9×13 baking pan.
Top with more shredded cheese. Season the top with salt and pepper.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 10 minutes.
If you love blue cheese dressing, you could drizzle that over the top, then sprinkle it with green onions.
Can You Make Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese?
The answer to that is yes! To make a Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese, combine all the ingredients of the buffalo chicken dip into the crockpot. Add in your al dente cooked pasta.
Mix it all together and let it cook on low for 1 and 1/2 hours. Serve topped with your favorite buffalo dip snacks — celery, blue cheese crumbles, or just eat it as is.
This can also be made in an Instant Pot as well. I am working on that recipe now and will share it with you as soon as I can!
Check out these other delicious pasta recipes as well
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
- 16 ounce box of elbow noodles
For the mac and cheese sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1 8 ounce block of cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated, divided
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of hot sauce
- 3/4 cup of ranch dressing
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes (or until the mixture turns light brown).
- Remove from heat and gradually pour in the warm milk, whisking constantly.
- Return the pan to heat, whisk another 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cream cheese and stir, allowing it to melt.
- Add the salt, garlic powder, mustard, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
- Now, add in the cheeses and let them melt.
- Next, add in the ranch dressing and the hot sauce. Add the chicken last.
- Stir everything up and then add the noodles. Stir to combine.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and top with a little more shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 744mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g