This Chocolate Chess Pie recipe is the perfect dessert when you are craving something sweet and delicious. It's a Southern staple dessert that you can find on any table.
During the holiday months, I made a lot of desserts, including this recipe for Chocolate Chess Pie. Now, Chess Pie is one of my favorites, but making a chocolate version was even better.
It’s the perfect addition to a holiday meal, Sunday dinner, or a potluck!
WHAT IS CHESS PIE
This pie is usually made with a mixture of eggs, butter, and sugar. Some recipes call for flour or cornmeal as a thickener. You can use a store-bought crust if you want, but for me, I always make sure to make my homemade Pie Pastry Dough.
The pie comes out fudgy and delicious. As a result, it tastes like a brownie, which in my opinion, is one of the best-tasting things on the planet. You can top this pie with whipped topping, ice cream, or whatever your heart desires.
This pie can be kept at room temperature for up to 24 hours after baking. If it won’t be eaten within that time frame, it needs to be refrigerated.
Store any leftovers wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
This pie also freezes very well – for up to 6 months!
Love Pie? Check Out These Other Recipes
- No Bake Double Layer Pudding Pie
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Blackberry Pie
- Celebration Cookie Pie
- Easy Rhubarb Custard Pie
- Mississippi Mud Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Lemon Chess Pie
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie shell (unbaked)
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, evaporated milk, and vanilla with a hand-held mixer until thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool on a cooling rack until completely cool.
- Serve at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g