Making lasagna with homemade noodles is not as hard as you think! Read on to learn how I did it and how you can too!
Never in a million years did I think that I could make homemade lasagna noodles. I had heard about it and was super curious. After making my own pasta noodles with my new KitchenAid attachment, and making pasta for homemade spaghetti night, I wanted to test it out and see if I could do it.
Of course, I know you have a million questions — don't worry — I did too and today I am going to help you answer all of them and give you my recipe for THE BEST LASAGNA you will ever eat. I promise, hands down that this will become your go-to recipe.
Do I Need a Pasta Attachment to make homemade lasagna noodles?
The answer to this question is no! If you have one, of course, you can use it, but do you need one to make these noodles? No. All you really need is a good rolling pin and your arms and you can create homemade lasagna noodles in a snap.
The thing I love about these noodles is how easy they are to make and how rustic they look when they are in the pan. The best part, they don't even have to be boiled before adding them to your pan!
This recipe is for a general pasta noodle, so it can be used to make ravioli, fettucini, spaghetti or whatever you would like. What I like about making homemade lasagna noodles instead of using the box kind is that you can make the noodles as thick (or thin) as you want.
I usually make a thinner lasagna noodle, so if you like a thicker noodle, just don't roll it out as thin as I would.
What Do I Need to Make Lasagna
To make my world-famous lasagna with homemade noodles, you need just a few simple ingredients
For the noodles —
For the Sauce
- Hamburger meat
- your favorite spaghetti sauce
For the lasagna
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
How do I Make the Lasagna Noodles?
Making the noodles is as simple as mixing together your flour and eggs, and then adding just enough water to make it turn into a dough.
Then, cut the dough up and roll it out into sheets. If you want the sheets to be super-uniformed, then all you need to do is trim them once you get them rolled out before adding them to the pan.
How do I Make the Pasta Sauce?
My pasta sauce is simple and easy to make. You can use homemade spaghetti sauce, but I usually just buy whatever is on sale at the store. I have used a Parmesan and Romano based spaghetti sauce which is my favorite. Sometimes I have used tomato and basil sauce as well. It is literally your preference.
After browning my hamburger meat, I just combine the sauce and the meat in the pan and keep it warm until I am ready for it.
How Do I Layer Lasagna?
Layering lasagna is easy! Start with a little of the hamburger mixture in the bottom of your casserole pan. Top it with the cottage cheese mixture. Sprinkle on some mozzarella cheese, and then add a single layer of lasagna noodles. Then, repeat the process all over again.
Your final layer will be the remaining hamburger meat sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Then, bake it in the 350-degree oven for 45 minutes. Once it comes out of the oven, let it sit for 30 minutes or so before serving. You will be amazed at the flavor of this lasagna!
This was our favorite by far and I was super impressed that the noodles were cooked as well as they were. They were tender and took this lasagna over the top!
- Lasagna Noodles
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons water, room temperature
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 32 oz. cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded, divided
- 1½ cups grated Parmesan, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Fresh lasagna noodles
- 24oz spaghetti sauce
- In a stand mixer, by hand, or with a food processor combine all ingredients.
- Mix well until all ingredients are combined. Knead the dough until you can form a ball. Set aside and let rest for about 30 minutes.
- Place dough on clean, lightly floured surface. Roll out with rolling pin until desired thickness.
- If you have a pasta attachment for your mixer, be sure and use that instead.
- Trim rough edges and cut into equal 1½ inch wide (or desired width) strips.
- Gather unused dough and edges, knead and roll out. Cut into additional strips.
- Set fresh noodles aside on wax paper until ready to use.
- To make the lasagna
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet on medium high heat combine ground beef, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and garlic powder and cook thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and stir in your spaghetti sauce of choice until combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, 1 cup Parmesan, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and stir until blended.
- In a 9" x 13" casserole dish, spread 1 cup of meat sauce. Top with some of the cottage cheese mixture and then sprinkle on some Mozzarella cheese.
- Top with one layer of lasagna noodles. On top of lasagna noodles spread 1 cup of meat mixture, 2¼ cup cottage cheese mixture, some mozzarella cheese followed by another layer of noodles.
- Top with remaining cottage cheese mixture, followed by remaining noodles and last layer of sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with remaining mozzarella cheese and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 769Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 267mgSodium: 1711mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 54g