This post and recipe for Mojito Cupcakes were created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Anytime I go somewhere new, I always get my absolute favorite drink on the planet — a mojito (non-alcoholic of course). There is just something about that lime and mint flavor together with just a hint of salt that makes me just feel like I am living my best life – ha!
Today — I am taking that favorite drink of mine, and popping it into cupcake form!
These cupcakes turned out so much better than I ever thought. The mint flavor really shines through and the best part? They hold up extremely well in the refrigerator!
How to Make Mojito Cupcakes
Just in case you want to know how to make a Mojito Mocktail, you can click here to get mine and Kayla’s recipe. It is delicious!
Start by mixing together your sugar and your lime zest. By doing this, you are releasing the lime oils into the sugars and infusing it.
Now, start mixing everything together according to the recipe directions. Your batter becomes this delicious lime-infused cupcake batter that I seriously cannot even begin to explain to you. You just have to trust me.
Now, fill your cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full and bake in a 350-degree oven for about 15-20 minutes.
While the cupcakes are baking, take the leftover limes that used for zest and juice and put in a saucepan with the sugar, water, and mint leaves. We are making a lime and mint simple syrup.
Remove from the oven and poke holes into the cupcakes. Take the lime syrup and brush the tops of the hot cupcakes. Do not skip this step because this really infuses those cupcakes with some of the best flavors you have tasted.
Now, let the cupcakes rest. While the cupcakes cool, you can make your buttercream icing.
Let’s Make Some Icing!
I love these new Wilton disposal bags — everything including the tip can be thrown away when done. These have literally saved my life when it comes to piping icing.
Mix together butter and shortening. Then add in your mint extract, powdered sugar as well as heavy cream. Beat together until you get your perfect consistency according to the recipe.
Then when the cupcakes are cooled, pipe on your icing. I love icing so I always add more icing than the cupcake. How much icing you use is totally up to you.
Decorating Those Cupcakes
Now — here is the fun part! We used these Key Lime Sprinkles from Sweets & Treats to decorate our cupcakes. But — we did not stop there.
In a bowl, we combined some of the sprinkles, some lime zest, and flaky sea salt together and then sprinkled on the top of cupcakes. Of course, we topped them with a sprig of fresh mint for the perfect finish!
They turned out perfect don’t you think?
For the cupcakes
- 1¾ all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ cup sugar
- zest of 2 limes
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¾ cup milk
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
For the Lime Mint Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Leftover limes from zest and juice
- 1 sprig of mint leaves pulled off the stem
For the Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1lb powdered sugar
- 1 tsp mint extract
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Lime Green Sprinkles
- Lime Zest
- Mint Leaves
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pans with liners.
- Zest the 2 limes into a small bowl and pour the sugar over it. Using your fingers, combine the sugar into the lime zest until the sugar and lime come together.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cold, cubed butter on high until smooth.
Add the lime sugar and beat until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- One at a time, add the eggs and mix on medium-high for 30 seconds after each addition making sure to scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl to ensure everything is incorporated.
- Add the lime juice and rum extract and mix in.
- In three parts, add the flour with the mixer on low speed. Between each addition of flour, add half the buttermilk. After the last amount of flour has been added, turn the mixer off and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and fold in the remaining flour.
- Turn the mixer back on to medium-high speed for 10 seconds.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are cooking, mix together in a saucepan on the stove all the ingredients for the syrup. Heat on medium high until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Once the cupcakes come out poke several holes in the top of each cupcake going down to the base. Using a kitchen brush, brush on the syrup on top of each cupcake until they are soaked. Be generous!
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and shortening.
- Add the powdered sugar mix on medium for about 30 seconds. Add half the heavy cream and beat on medium high until smooth.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and then mix in the mint extract and salt.
- Add the remaining heavy cream and beat on high for 3-4 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Fill a Wilton Disposable piping bag fitted with a a star tip (Wilton 1M) with the mint buttercream.
- Pipe a swirl of buttercream onto each cooled cupcake.
- Mix together in a bowl some of the Lime sprinkles, the lime zest and a pinch of flaky sea salt.
- Garnish the cupcakes with a mint sprig, and the sprinkles.
Whipped Mint Buttercream
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 43mg Sodium: 129mg Carbohydrates: 44g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 35g Protein: 2g
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Mermaid Pineapple RumDum from Big Bear’s Wife
Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts:
- Cotton Candy Cupcakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Drumstick Layered Dessert from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mermaid Milkshakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mojito Popsicles from The Spiffy Cookie
- Fried Ice Cream Cake from Cookaholic Wife
- Unicorn Milkshake from For The Love of Food
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Mojito Cupcakes from Jen Around the World
- Pina Colada Cupcakes from The Beard and The Baker
- Lemonade Cupcakes from The Domestic Kitchen
- Summer Sangria Cake from A Blender Mom
- Lemon Meringue Cheesecake Cupcakes from Doughmesstic
- Sunflower Cupcakes from Home Sweet Homestead
- Easy Pina Colada Poke Cake from Love and Confections
- Classic Vanilla Cupcakes + Summer Cupcake Decorating from Books n’ Cooks
- Almond Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream Frosting from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Peach Upside Down Cake from Home Sweet Homestead
- Jam Breakfast Cake with Streusel from Shockingly Delicious
- Summer Berry Cupcakes with Lemon Icing from Nancie’s Table
No Bake Treats:
- Million Dollar Bar Pies from Fake Ginger
- Blackberry Cream Cheese Dessert from Eat Move Make
- No Bake Lemon Cheesecake from Cooking With Carlee
- S’mores Cheesecake from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Strawberry Cheesecake Shortbread Bars from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Drumstick Babka from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Raspberry Lemon Brownies from Sweet Beginnings
- Peach Streusel Crumb Bars from Blogghetti
- White Tea Peach Panna Cotta from Palatable Pastime
- Homemade Strawberry Swirl Marshmallow from My Sweet Zepol
- Blueberry Lemonade Lollipops from Our Good Life
Enter to Win
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summertime event is filled with some downright amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors for y’all too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!
There are 45 incredible bloggers participating in this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event! Thanks to those bloggers, we have over 168 summertime sweet treat recipes being shared this week! Grab a few recipes to try out and don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
Scroll down to take a look!
Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1)Keurig® K-Select® Coffee Maker
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Adams Poundcake Kit, Adams Best, Adams Lemon Extract, Adams Natural Food Color, and Adams Cinnamon Sugar
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 13 x 9 -inch Oblong Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Square Cake Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Round Cake Pan, Peach Cobbler Candy Melts Candy, Blueberry Lemonade Candy Melts Candy, Orange Crème Candy Melts Candy, Key Lime Pie Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Orange Crème Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Pop Art Triangle and Solid Cupcake Liners, Geometric Print and Solid Green Cupcake Liners, Balloon Dog Icing Decorations, Assorted Brights and Pastels Sprinkles, Blue Sprinkles Tackle Box, Coral Sprinkles Tackle Box, DIY-Lish Mermaid Kit, DIY-Lish Candy Lollipop Kit and Disposable Decorating Bags with 1M Tips
Prize #4 — Sweets & Treats Boutique is giving away 1 (one) baking supply box including an assortment of sprinkles and cupcake liners as well as one of Love From The Oven’s recent cookbooks!
Prize #5 — Anolon is giving one (1) winner an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Round Springform Pan & an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Square Springform Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 7th – July 14th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Anolon ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.