This post and recipe were created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
I love making cupcakes for any holiday. Neat creations are my favorite. Whenever we decided to make cupcakes for this blogging week, I knew I wanted to try my hand at making Black Velvet Cupcakes.
These cupcakes are moist and have the same flavor as red velvet but are completely black!
The flavor of these cupcakes resembles a vanilla/chocolate flavor. We topped them with a tri-colored buttercream for Halloween. I mean, nothing screams Halloween like purple, orange, and green.
Dixie Crystals powdered sugar is the perfect sugar to use in my buttercream icing. It is extremely fine and smooth making sure that my buttercream icing comes out perfect every time.
How to Make Black Velvet Cupcakes
For this recipe, you will need black food coloring. You want to start light at first and add more as you go.
The goal is to get the batter to be dark gray. The color will intensify as it cooks making it deeper until it looks black.
Then, once they are done, you will top them with delicious buttercream icing. My recipe for Homemade Buttercream icing is the best.
When you get the icing made, just divide equally between bowls and color with purple, orange, and green food coloring.
Then, add all three to your piping bag fitted with a star tip (or your favorite tip of choice). Pipe onto your cupcakes making sure to squeeze evenly so the colors come out swirled.
Top with your favorite Halloween sprinkles and enjoy!
Check out these other fun Halloween Recipes
Check out all of these great #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes for today
- Melted Witch Ice Cream from Big Bear's Wife
- Blood Splatter Donuts from Semi Homemade Recipes
- Black Velvet Cupcakes from Jen Around the World
- Churro Cupcakes from Devour Dinner
- Halloween Muddy Buddies from The Redhead Baker
- Kitty Litter Cake from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Halloween Sweet Treats Board from Cookaholic Wife
- Ghost Meringues from House of Nash Eats
- Count Chocula Pudding Shots from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Spider Web Apple Pops from Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Board from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from Our Good Life
Enter to Win
Welcome!!! It is almost Halloween which means it is time for this year's #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipe and giveaway event!!
#HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 4th annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 28 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
41 Pieces Silicone Bakeware Set
3 Piece Halloween Silicone Spatula Set
Nordic Ware Haunted Skull Cakelet Pana Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsor to winner, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 11th – October 15th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 1 (ONE) prize pack and therefore we will have a total of 1 (ONE) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
- 1 ¼ cupa all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon black food color (may need more depending on the brand
- ½ cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- ¾ teaspoons baking soda
For the icing
- My buttercream recipe
- Orange, purple, and green food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the butter, oil, and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after adding each egg.
- Beat in the vanilla and the black food color. Add more black food color as needed. The mixture should look mostly very dark grey. The color will deepen and intensify during baking.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk. Add another ⅓ of the flour, then the remaining buttermilk followed by the last ⅓ of the flour. Mix until just combined.
- Quickly, but carefully, mix together the vinegar and baking soda. The mixture will bubble up a lot.
- Pour the baking soda mixture into your batter and stir in well for 10 seconds.
- Evenly divide the batter among the cupcake liners.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 - 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs sticking to it when inserted in the middle.
- Let the cupcakes rest in the tin for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the buttercream according to my recipe.
- Divide it into bowls and color with a few drops of each food coloring.
- Place in a piping bag -- all three colors, and then pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Top with candy Halloween sprinkles if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 101mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g