I am treating my family to a real meal tonight. I am quite sure that they will be pleased 🙂 I'm even including a dessert. It is one of my favorites, and one that brings some happy memories to me when I was growing up — Old Fashioned Chocolate Cream Pie.
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out my huge database of delicious, homemade goodies.
Every time my mom made this growing up, I stood in front of her just waiting for the pot to come off the stove. I knew as soon as her pie was filled, I would get what was left with a spoon. There is NOTHING in this world like warm yummy chocolate 🙂
I've now taken over the tradition and make this for my family all the time. My daughter and son love to get the pot and of course, where my mom bought a store bought crust, I make mine from scratch.
- 1 9 inch pie crust, baked and cooled (you can find my favorite crust recipe here)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, save the whites for the meringue
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter
- Whisk all ingredients together, except butter, in saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Add butter and pour into baked pie shell. Set aside.
- Take egg whites and beat on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form. Sweeten with a teaspoon of sugar and finish beating until whites are stiff.
- Top pie with meringue and bake in a 300 degree oven until meringue is browned on top.