Old Fashioned Chocolate Cream Pie is one of those desserts that bring back so many childhood memories. Creamy fudge pudding inside a beautiful homemade crust.
Then, top the pie with a sweetened meringue for the perfect family dessert.
Every time my mom made Chocolate pie growing up, I stood in front of her just waiting for the pot to come off the stove. I knew as soon as her pie was filled, I would get what was left with a spoon. There is NOTHING in this world like warm yummy chocolate.
Now that my momma is no longer here, I have taken over making this for my family. I still lick the pot after I am done (it's the cook's prerogative), and of course, I make my pie crust from scratch using my easy pie pastry crust recipe.
Here's How I make it!
How to Make an Old Fashioned Chocolate Cream Pie
Bake the pie crust in the oven at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. Remove the pie crust from the oven and set it aside.
Whisk all ingredients except the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Be sure to whisk constantly until thickened. Once it is thickened, add the butter and mix well.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the baked pie shell. Set aside.
Take the egg whites and beat on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form. Sweeten with a teaspoon of sugar and finish beating until whites are stiff.
Top pie with meringue and bake in a 300-degree oven until meringue is brown on top.
Tips for Baking a Pie with Meringue
I get asked all the time how to keep the meringue from seeping on a pie. I have done some research and testing and I do believe I have the best tip.
When baking a pie with a meringue, you want to make sure to add the meringue onto the top of a hot pie. The filling should be hot. This will start the cooking process almost immediately.
Place in the oven and bake. Once the pie comes out, allow the pie to cool for about 20 minutes before refrigeration. This will allow the meringue to set up and not ooze any juice out from under it.
Craving pie? Check out these other recipes
- 1 9 inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, save the whites for the meringue
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter
- Bake the pie crust in a 400-degree oven for 12 minutes. Remove and set it aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk all ingredients except the butter together over medium heat. Whisk continually until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add butter and mix well. Pour into baked pie shell. Set aside.
- Take egg whites and beat on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form. Sweeten with a teaspoon of sugar and finish beating until whites are stiff.
- Top pie with meringue and bake in a 300 degree oven until meringue is browned on top. Serve warm or chill and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 6g