If you love lasagna then you will LOVE my delicious slow cooker lasagna pasta. It comes together in no time and is perfect on those nights when you need a fast dinner idea.
I discovered a delicious way to make lasagna the other night simply because I was doing my “clean out the pantry” meal plan and meal prep.
We were in the process of trying to use up all the food in our fridge since we were heading out on a trip. I refused to go to the grocery store that week and so I was looking for some things to throw together to make dinner.
I started pulling things out of the fridge and pantry and realized — hey I have all the fixings to make lasagna — except I was missing one thing — the lasagna noodles! I started rummaging a little further into the pantry and discovered I had a box of penne pasta and that's when it hit me — hey — I can cook this in the slow cooker and make a lasagna pasta!
And that is how I discovered this delicious and super easy Slow Cooker Lasagna Pasta. Oh and for an easy clean up in your slow cooker, use these crockpot liners. They are a LIFESAVER when it comes to clean up.
How to Make Slow Cooker Lasagna Pasta
The only cooking process you have to do here is to brown your ground beef. After that, the rest is totally up to your slow cooker!
Start by browning your ground beef in a skillet.
Once you get your ground beef all browned, add in your spaghetti sauce and then set it aside.
In another dish, you are going to mix together your cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan Cheese. Normally if you are making regular lasagna, you would add an egg in here –but for this recipe, you won't need that at all.
Now- you are ready to assemble your lasagna in the slow cooker.
Meat Sauce First!
You are going to layer this just like you would if you were making lasagna with those flat noodles. Start with a layer of meat sauce on the very bottom — about 1/4 cup.
Now, top that with a layer of your cottage cheese mixture.
Then, top with a few of the penne noodles. These noodles are straight out of the box. No need to cook them because the spaghetti sauce from this recipe will cook the noodles.
Now repeat the process. You are going to end with pasta sauce on the top.
Put the lid on your slow cooker and let it cook for a couple of hours. For me, I love a dump and go slow cooker meal because it helps when I am in a time crunch and need to be busy doing something else — but my dinner still gets done.
This also keeps my family from having to run to go get something to eat.
Right before the pasta is done — about 30 minutes, top the pasta with the remainder of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Place the lid back on and let the cheese melt.
It's the perfect meal when you need something quick and easy!
Love Quick Pasta Recipes? Check Out This List!
Here are a few more quick pasta recipes that are my favorite.
- Best One Pan Spaghetti Dish – How to Make One Pot Spaghetti
- One Pan Gluten Free Chicken Broccoli Pasta
- One Pan Cheeseburger Pasta
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- 16 ounce box of Penne Pasta, uncooked
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 24 ounce jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 16 ounce tub of small curd cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- 1 8 ounce bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet on medium high, brown your ground beef. Drain the grease off.
- Add in your pasta sauce to the ground beef and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine your tub of cottage cheese, 1/2 the bag of mozzarella and the Parmesan Cheese. Set aside.
- Line your slow cooker with a liner bag (this makes for super easy cleanup) and begin the layers.
- Layer in 1/2 of the meat sauce. Spread the sauce. Top with 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture and spread it evenly. Pour in 1/2 the box of Penne noodles and spread them out over the top of the cottage cheese.
- Add in the remainder of the cottage cheese. Top with the remaining noodles. End with the remainder of the pasta sauce.
- Place lid on the slow cooker and set the timer on high for 2 hours.
- About 30 minutes before it is done, remove the lid and top with the remaining Mozzarella cheese. Replace the lid and give the cheese 30 minutes to melt.
- Remove lid and serve pasta with garlic bread and salad for the perfect easy meal.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 453mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g