Sourdough Discard Brownies are rich, fudgy, and oh-so delicious! These are made with sourdough discard from the sourdough starter you have going on!
They are very chocolatey thanks to the 2 types of chocolate and 2 types of sugar making this one of the best brownie dishes you will ever make.
How to Make Sourdough Discard Brownies
One of the things that I think makes this brownie recipe so different from the others is that the butter gets browned before adding it to the batter. There is just something about browned butter that makes any dish taste better.
The chocolate chips get melted by the butter and then that gets added to all the other ingredients. Bake in a pan until you get your desired doneness.
Do not use a toothpick to test these brownies. Once the edges look set and there is no jiggle left, these brownies are done! I prefer a fudgier brownie so I always like to bake mine for less time than more time.
Store your sourdough discard brownies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
These brownies can also be frozen. Just wrap each individual brownie and then place them into an airtight freezer container. They'll keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you're ready to enjoy, simply thaw the brownies on the counter at room temperature for about an hour.
Love Sourdough? Check Out These Other Recipes
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup sourdough discard, room temperature
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and continue to cook until it just begins to darken in color.
- Remove from the heat and pour in the chocolate chips and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl or your KitchenAid mixer, add all the other ingredients and mix well. Now, add the butter and melted chocolate mixture. Mix well.
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper. Pour the batter in and spread evenly in the pan. It will be thick.
- Cook in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the edges look set and the center looks slightly undercooked.
- Allow the sourdough brownies to cool to room temperature before cutting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g