This baked sweet and sour chicken will become your new favorite at home takeout dish.
I love filling my house with the aroma of cooking a homemade Chinese meal.
My daughter and I love creating our favorite restaurant-style foods right in the comfort of our kitchen.
The day I discovered this recipe for Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken, I knew it would be one that I put in our KEEP recipe book forever.
It features delicious and crispy chicken bites coated in a crunchy outer coating and then drizzled with my homemade sweet and sour sauce.
How to Make Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
To start, you need to make sure to chunk your raw chicken breasts into 1″ pieces. Once you get that done set that aside.
Grab two shallow dishes. In one, you are going to put corn starch, and in the other, you will put 4 eggs, beaten together.
Take your chicken chunks and dredge them in the corn starch first. Now, I know for some, you are used to doing the egg first, but for this recipe, you do the opposite.
After dredging through the corn starch, then, you are going to dredge them through the beaten eggs.
By doing this, you will create a puffy batter when fried. Now, set this bowl aside.
Take a saute pan and add about 1/2″ of oil in the bottom. Also, grab and put to the side a 9×13 baking dish.
Once the oil gets to medium-high heat, start placing your chicken chunks in the hot oil to fry. You are not going to cook the chicken all the way at this point. You are just looking to brown both sides.
Once you transfer the chicken to the pan, pour in your homemade sweet and sour sauce and toss the chicken to coat well.
Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through. The sauce will soak into the chicken making THE BEST baked sweet and sour chicken you have ever tasted.
Check out these other Chinese Inspired Dishes
- Chinese Lemon Chicken
- Chinese New Year Recipes
- Egg Roll Stir Fry
- Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Mongolian Ground Beef Noodles
Do you have any favorite Chinese dishes you recreate at home?
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cup cornstarch
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Recipe for my Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Take your chicken and cut it up into 1" pieces and then season with salt and pepper.
- In separate bowls, place cornstarch and slightly beaten eggs. Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in egg mixture.
- (I first thought this was crazy, because you normally dip into egg and then cornstarch, but do it the way it is saying. It will puff up like a tempura batter)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. It will not take that long at all, so watch your pieces carefully.
- Transfer the chicken to a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Take the homemade sweet and sour sauce and pour over all the chicken. Toss it a few times to coat the pieces.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once your chicken comes out, spoon it over hot rice and sprinkle on toasted sesame seeds.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 135mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 22g