These freezer breakfast burritos are so tasty and can be heated up in the oven or in the microwave.
Each burrito is stuffed full of delicious tater tots, soft scrambled eggs, sharp cheddar cheese, crumbled sausage, and cilantro.
I am all about finding ways to cut down in the kitchen. That's one reason why I wrote an e-cookbook full of 15-minute recipes. I played around with this recipe for a while before I finally got it exactly as I wanted. You will love keeping these in the freezer to grab one on the go.
My husband and son are on the go all the time and sometimes have to leave early. I wanted to make a breakfast that could be portable when Stephen didn't have time to make breakfast.
This way, he can throw one in the microwave, heat it up for a few minutes and head out the door with a hearty breakfast.
How to Make Freezer Breakfast Burritos
These freezer breakfast burritos are super easy to make. I was able to put together a whole bag full in less than 20 minutes after I got all the ingredients cooked and cooled.
The best thing to do is get all the ingredients cooked and get an assembly line going. Once you do, you can build your burritos.
Then simply roll them up, wrap each one in Saran Wrap and put them all in a Ziplock bag to store in the freezer. You won't be baking them in the oven until you are ready to eat them. You are basically pre-baking them by cooking all the ingredients in the burrito.
Then, when you are ready to eat one, pop it in the microwave for 3 minutes or bake in the oven.
You also want to make sure to use room temperature ingredients to avoid any sogginess.
They can be frozen a month ahead in individual servings, wrapped in Saran Wrap – dated and stacked in a Ziploc bag.
- 1 small bag frozen tater tots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 8 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- Kosher Salt and Black pepper to taste
- 8 8" flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray. Cook tater tots according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat, reserving 1 tablespoon in the skillet.
- Add eggs to the skillet and cook, whisking, until they just begin to set. Gently whisk in milk; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Continue cooking until thickened and just a slight bit of liquid remains, about 3 minutes; set aside.
- Spread tater tots down the center of the tortilla shell, then top sausage, eggs, cheeses, and cilantro.
- Fold in opposite sides of each tortilla, then roll up, burrito-style. Place, seam-sides down, onto a prepared baking sheet; cover.
- Place into oven and bake until heated through about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately or let them cool completely and wrap in Saran Wrap and place in a Ziplock bag for the freezer.