Looking for a new and delicious way to eat chicken? This Healthier Unfried Chicken recipe fits the bill.
Since everyone in our family has been doing our best to eat better, I have been trying to create delicious recipes that feel bad for you but are not really bad at all.
This recipe for healthier unfried chicken tastes just like the real deal but is packed so full of flavor.
How to Make Healthier Unfried Chicken
If you are looking at these photos and thinking, “That totally looks like fried chicken”, I can promise you that it is not. It is oven-fried chicken, which makes it lower in calories and fat but still crunchy and delicious.
There’s absolutely no searing or frying here. The chicken has the same crispy, golden texture as the real deal. This chicken dish is moist and juicy thanks to the baking method.
Make this chicken in no time flat! The best part is there isn't a greasy mess to clean after! And, no fried smells that linger on and on and on for days at a time.
The cooking time will depend on the thickness and size of your chicken. I've used breasts, tenderloins, thighs, legs, wings, etc. The best way is to use a meat thermometer (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and legs).
For another great healthier chicken recipe, check out this Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Breast.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check out this fun list!
- Lemon Chicken Piccata – Dinner in under 30 minutes
- Herbed Spatchcock Chicken
- One Pan Gluten-Free Chicken Broccoli Pasta
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Cooking spray
- 2 to 3 shakes hot sauce, such as Tabasco, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 4 cups cornflake crumbs
- 8 assorted chicken pieces, skin on
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Shake the hot sauce into the buttermilk and pour into a shallow dish. Place the cornflake crumbs in another shallow dish. Dip each piece of chicken in the buttermilk, and then roll it in the crumbs. Place the coated chicken pieces on the cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the chicken until the crust is golden brown and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, about 1 hour. Check this with the point of a sharp knife. Remove the pieces from the pan and serve while the chicken is warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 402Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 650mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 2gSugar: 41gProtein: 14g