Last week I tried my hand at making homemade salsa verde. Oh my God! It was SO easy and so yummy. I could eat this stuff on everything. It especially tastes good on burritos, tacos, enchiladas.
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out my huge database of delicious, homemade goodies.
Salsa verde is my go to sauce for my breakfast burritos and tostadas. It really makes the sausage pop and the crunch of the tortilla along with the acidic taste of the verde sauce — hmm, hmmm — you will be asking for more!
It's really easy to fix and costs less than the jarred stuff and tastes so much better.
Here is the recipe. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1/2 lb tomatillos
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped (you can use whole for more heat if you want)
- Salt to taste
- Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well.
- Place tomatillos in a saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove tomatillos with a slotted spoon.
- Place tomatillos, lime juice, onions, cilantro, chili peppers, sugar in a blender or food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt. Cool in refrigerator.
- Serve with chips or as a salsa accompaniment to Mexican dishes.
What would you use this sauce on?