This homemade tater-tots recipe is one of our favorites. It's so easy to make and I love creating as many variations as I can think up!
I recently tried my hand at making homemade tater tots for my husband. He loves potato anything, so I was excited to give these a try.
To my surprise, making homemade tater tots is simple and easy and only require a small amount of your time. You can fry them, bake them, air fry them, etc. The possibilities and varieties are endless.
How to Make Homemade Tater Tots
If you are like me, trying your hand at making anything homemade is exciting. This recipe is so simple and easy. It uses baked potatoes that have been left in the fridge and cooled.
Once the potatoes are cool, simply peel them, and, using a box grater, gently grate the potatoes to make shredded hashbrowns.
I used the small grate, but should have probably used the big grate.
Next, add in your seasonings and add ins, and then use a couple of teaspoons per tater tot. Mold it together and then roll into your preferred tater tot shape.
How to Cook Tater Tots
There are 3 ways you can cook them — bake, fry, or air fry. For me, I baked mine this time around and they were so good and so simple.
I am going to fry mine next time to give them that extra crispy golden look that tater tots get.
They were crispy and crunchy on the outside and creamy and delicious on the inside. We dipped ours in ketchup, but you can totally dip them in any of your favorite sauces.
Check out these other delicious potato recipes
- 2 pounds potatoes
- ½ tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of grated onion
- Pinch of pepper
- Oil for frying
- Peel and chop the potatoes in fourths and parboil them in a generous amount of water. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and then allow them to cool. You should be able to handle them without it burning your hands.
- Grate the potatoes on the big holes of your grater.
- Gently place them in a bowl.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper, onion, and mix gently.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil up to 355-360F
- Use 2 teaspoons potato mixture for each tot.
- Shape the potato mixture gently until it is in the shape of a tater tot.
- Fry, a few at a time, in the hot oil just until they are golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- If you prefer to bake them, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the tater tots on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip them over to bake them for 15 more minutes.
- Serve with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 25Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g