These firecracker chicken meatballs are baked until perfection and then tossed with a sweet and spicy hot sauce! Serve them as appetizers or on top of a bed of fresh homemade pasta.
Nothing makes me happier than biting into a tender, juicy homemade meatball. Before this week, I only knew how to make these homemade meatballs. But recently, I tried my hand at making chicken meatballs — and now, I don't know if I can go back to eating regular ones again.
They require minimum work and are done in 20 minutes.
How to Make Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
These meatballs are perfect for when you’re hosting a game day party or a get together with friends. Of course, these are also amazing as meatball subs and then topped with melty cheese!
For the chicken meatballs, I used some ground chicken I picked up from the store. It can be dark or white meat.
To bind them together, all you need are 2 large eggs and a little panko bread crumbs. The spices in these meatballs are just pantry ingredients you should already have — paprika, onion powder, and garlic.
When making the meatballs, try not to overwork the meat. You want to mix it just enough until everything is incorporated. Then, using a 2″ cookie scoop, I make my meatballs. You don't have to do this, but I like mine to be all the same size.
For the sauce, all you need is a little hot sauce, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Cook it on the stove while the meatballs are cooking. The sugar in the sauce will help it reduce some. It will get thick and you just toss the meatballs in the sauce.
Then, place them back on the baking sheet for about 5 more minutes to allow the sauce to stick to the meatballs. Plate them and then drizzle the remaining sauce over them.
These meatballs would be great served with a side of my Honey Butter Roasted Brussel Sprouts.
Check out these other meatball recipes
- Quick and Easy Meatball Kabobs
- 3 ingredient bbq meatballs
- Cheesy Meatball Bites
- 20 Minute Meatballs Sliders
For the meatballs:
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
For the hot sauce:
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 475ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the ingredients of the firecracker sauce over medium high heat. Allow the sauce to come to a boil, then reduce the heat so it simmers. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the sauce to cool. As it cools, it will thicken.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, garlic, salt pepper, eggs, panko, paprika, and onion powder. Use your hands to mix all the ingredients together and don't overmix. The meatballs will be tough if you do. Just mix until just combined.
- Using a 2" cookie scoop, shape the meatballs and then place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are completely cooked.
- Remove the meatballs from the tray and place in the sauce. Put them back on the baking sheet.
- Put them back in the oven and bake for an additional 1-2 minutes. Drizzle or brush with additional sauce and then serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 540mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 24g