It's time for all the fall apple recipes. Today I have a fantastic Apple Biscuits recipe that you will flip over. They are simple to make and then basted with Honey Butter.
I made these over the weekend with my family and everyone raved about how delicious these turned out.
The apples add a nice flavor to the biscuits. And, because they are shredded, you won't be biting into any big chunks of apples.
How to Make Apple Biscuits
These biscuits are made similar to my Southern Breakfast Biscuits. The main difference is that there are fall spices in these and of course, apples.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredient list
- Self-rising flour
Mix the flour and spices together and set aside. Use a box grater and grate the apples. Just make sure to peel before grating.
Mix the apples and butter with the dough. Now, add in the buttermilk and mix until it is just combined. The dough is going to be very wet and sticky.
Pour the dough onto a floured work surface and knead until everything is combined. Use your hands and press the dough out until it is about 1″ thick. Use a biscuit cutter and cut out the biscuits.
Place them in a cast iron skillet or a pan and bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. While the biscuits cook, make the honey butter. When the biscuits are done cooking, use a brush and glaze them with the honey-butter mixture.
Check out these other delicious apple recipes
Delicious Apple Recipes
- Apple Almond Vada from Magical Ingredients
- Apple Biscuits from Jen Around the World
- Apple Butter from Palatable Pastime
- Apple Cider Mimosa from Hezzi-D's Recipe Box
- Apple Crumble Muffins from Art of Natural Living
- Apple Walnut Snack Cake from That Recipe
- Easy Skillet Apple Crisp from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Maple Apple Pie with Walnut Crumble Topping from The Spiffy Cookie
- 4 1/2 cups of self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 2 sticks of cold butter, diced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and grated
- 1 cup of buttermilk
For the glaze
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and all the spices including the sugar and salt.
- Take the diced butter and grated apple and place in the flour mixture. Mix well. Make sure the butter has created coarse crumbs in the flour mixture.
- Now, gently stir in the buttermilk. The dough will be wet and sticky.
- Flour a work surface and dump the flour mixture out. Sprinkle more flour over the top of the dough. Knead the dough a few times.
- Now, pat the dough out until it is about 1" thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits. Place them on a baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. If the biscuits are not brown enough, put them under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush them with the honey-butter mixture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g