I have been trying and trying to perfect my homemade breakfast biscuits and I finally figured out what my problem has been all along. Are you ready for this secret? I mean it really is a secret.
This post was originally published on July 29, 2009, and republished on May 31, 2019
The secret to delicious fluffy biscuits is this: DO NOT OVERWORK THE DOUGH!
And I mean that with all simplicity that it says. You barely mess with the dough and you will have mouth-watering biscuits that look this delish! These go great with my delicious Homemade Gravy and Home Fries.
When you are kneading the dough a bit, simply use your hands to pat out in a circle. Use firm pressure, but do not squish it down.
Also — when cutting with your biscuit cutter, do not twist. Simply press into the dough and raise up. When you twist, you cut off the ability to let your biscuit rise well. In fact, this set of biscuit cutters are my favorite.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 TBSP shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Put the flour in a bowl and add in the shortening.
- Using a pastry blender, fork, or your fingers, mix the flour and shortening together until just combined. The less you mess with it, the fluffier your biscuits will be.
- To your flour mixture, add in the milk, salt, and sugar, and stir until just combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Next, flour your surface and dump the dough out. Sprinkle with a bit more flour and begin to knead a couple of times until dough is covered with flour and no longer sticky.
- Using your hands, pat the dough out until it is 1/2"-1" thickness. Use your biscuit cutter and cut your biscuits. Do not twist. Just insert the cutter into the dough and then lift straight up.
- Cook in the oven on 450 degrees for about 8-10 minutes.
- If biscuits are not as browned as you like, turn on the broiler and brush tops of biscuits with melted butter and broil for a couple of minutes to brown the tops.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spring Chef Dough Blender, Top Professional Pastry Cutter with Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Blades (Black-Medium)
Pastry Cutter Set Professional QUALITY Biscuit Cutter set Heavy Duty & Durable Ergonomic Rubber Grip Dough Blender + 5 Round Biscuit Cutters With Handles Baking Pastry & Utensils in a Gift Box!
Good Cook 11 Inch x 7 Inch Biscuit/Brownie Pan (2 pack)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 453mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g
Looking for more bread recipes? Check these out
- Homemade Honey Wheat Bread
- No Knead Dutch Oven Bread
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Honey Wheat Bread
- Homemade Pita Bread
What is your favorite biscuit recipe?