This recipe for Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce is part of Fall Flavors Week. Thanks to the sponsors listed below. All opinions in this recipe are 100% my own.
I love, love, love winter squash! I do believe that it is my favorite vegetable aside from Brussel Sprouts. This pasta sauce recipe will take your next noodle dish over the top!
Welcome to #FallFlavors where more than 25 food bloggers are sharing recipes with favorite Fall flavors. Our sponsors, Millican Pecan, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Nairn’s, and Republic of Tea, have furnished participating bloggers with complimentary product to use in their recipe creations that they will be sharing this week. These same sponsors have generously offered prizes for our giveaway so be sure to enter and share with your friends so they can enter too. Be sure to follow our Fall Flavors Pinterest account for more inspiration.
This sauce is very creamy and goes great with any type of pasta you serve it on.
Because this sauce is so versatile, we have used it on top of the pizza as well and it worked great as a pizza sauce.
How to Make Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
So, you are going to peel and dice up one butternut squash. Once you peel and cut it in half, you will have to remove the seeds from it just like you do a pumpkin. I got this butternut squash from Melissa's Produce. I love that they have so many delicious veggies to choose from.
Once you get it diced, then, in a large stockpot, add in the olive oil, onions, and saute until they are soft and tender.
Add the butternut squash, garlic, herbs, and broth, then cook for 10 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork-tender.
Once the butternut squash is tender, add the milk to the pot.
Use an immersion blender to blend the sauce
While the sauce is simmering, cook your pasta according to directions.
To serve, add some sauce to your bowl, then add some pasta to the bowl. Then, pour more sauce over the top. Gently toss to coat.
Top with Parmesan shavings and toasted pecans. The pecans I used are delicious pecans from the Millican Pecan Company.
This recipe tasted SO good. I am so glad that I ventured outside of my normal cheese sauce to create this pasta sauce. It's my new favorite and I may never go back to regular pasta sauce again.
My Favorite Pasta Dishes
Check out the other blogger recipes below
More #FallFlavors Recipes Below:
- Apple Cider Milk Tea With Boba And Caramel Apple from Magical Ingredients
- Apple Cider Old Fashioned from Books n' Cooks
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Apple Cider Donut Muffins from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pear and Apple Cider Scones from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Balsamic Roasted Purple Brussels Sprouts W/ Grapes & Chestnuts from Savory Moments
- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Pumpkin Muffins from Blogghetti
- Fall Roasted Vegetable Medley from Family Around the Table
- Glazed Cippolini Onions With Rosemary from Life Love and Good Food
- Sweet Potato Latkes from Take Two Tapas
- Apple Cider Pulled Pork With Apple Slaw from Simple and Savory
- Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce from Jen around the world
- Apple Blondies from Eat Move Make
- Apple Turnover from Art of Natural Living
- Butterscotch Pie from Lemon Blossoms
- Gf Cinnamon Graham Cracker Cupcakes from Frugal & Fit
- No- Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake With Salted Caramel Glaze from West Via Midwest
- Oatmeal Scotchies from Palatable Pastime
- Pear Bundt Cake from The Fresh Cooky
- Pear Cobbler from Fresh April Flours
- Pear Crisp Ice Cream from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Pecan Butter Cookies from An Affair from the Heart
- Pecan Pie Bars from Devour Dinner
- Pumpkin Cupcakes from House of Nash Eats
- Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies from SueBee Homemaker
- Rosemary Pecan Shortbread With Honey-Ginger Icing from The Spiffy Cookie
- Sweet Tea Panna Cotta from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Turtle Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches from That Recipe
Enter to Win
Prize 1: Texas Pecan Candy Basket from Millican Pecan
The Millican Pecan Texas Pecan Candy Basket is loaded with a variety of pecan gifts. Includes 6 Milk Chocolate Pecan Clusters, 6 Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles), 6 White Chocolate Caramillicans, 6 Pecan Pralines, and a 1/2 lb. Bag of Flavored Pecans! Every bit DELICIOUS! A $75 value.
Prize 2: Williams Sonoma Cleartouch Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set from Dixie Crystals
Perfect for the occasional baker, our entry-level collection features a sturdy nonstick silicone coating at a great value. Aluminized steel, the material of choice for professional bakers, provides excellent heat transfer for even baking, so food turns out beautifully and releases easily, every time. 6-Piece Set includes: Half-sheet pan, 12-cup muffin pan, round cake pan, square cake pan, rectangular cake pan, loaf pan. An $80 value.
Prize 3: 3 Month Melissa's Produce Gift Subscription
A stunning selection of the most delicious produce will be delivered once a month for 3 months. At Melissa's, the produce is selected at their peak of perfection and packed by hand to ensure safe arrival. A $124 value.
Prize 4: A Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of Hot Apple Cider Tea from The Republic of Tea
Let the aroma of fresh apple and mulled cider spices envelop you as you sip this golden infusion. The crisp, lingering finish will leave you wanting more! A naturally-caffeine free blend of apples, cinnamon cloves and ginger. Reminiscent of apple cider, with the luscious aroma of cinnamon and cloves, make this cup the perfect accompaniment to the colors of the harvest season.
Embossed, windswept leaves whirl across this 20 oz ceramic teapot. Includes a stainless steel infuser. An exclusive design by The Republic of Tea. A $44 value
Prize 5: A selection of six flavors of Oat Crackers from Nairn's
One winner will receive a box of each Nairn's Original, Chocolate Chip, Stem Ginger Oat Grahams, Caramelized Onions, Rosemary & Sea Salt Flatbreads, and Oat Cracker. Nairn's has been baking oats since 1896. They use simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients in their products. Minimum $25 value
Prize 6: A Selection of extracts from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include vanilla bean, almond, lemon, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla. Minimum of $25 valuea Rafflecopter giveaway
Six (6) winners will be randomly selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter the giveaway and the contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors posts or entries. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Republic of Tea, and Nairn’s for providing prizes.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 6 sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces of penne pasta (or your favorite pasta of choice)
For the topping
- minced Parsley
- toasted pecans
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Slice the top and bottom of the butternut squash off. Use a veggie peeler to remove the hard outer skin.
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Cut the squash in half and dice to 1/2" cubes.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Throw in the onion and saute for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the butternut squash, garlic, herbs, and broth. Bring the pot to a boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer. Let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork-tender.
- Remove the lid and add the milk.
- Use an immersion blender to blend it all together. Once it is emulsified well, add in the shredded Parmesan and the lemon juice. Mix well.
- While the pasta sauce continues to simmer, cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, grab a small skillet and throw your chopped pecans in it. Heat over medium heat for a minute or two until the pecans are lightly toasted and fragrant.
- To serve, add some sauce to the bottom of your pasta bowl. Top with pasta and then add in some more sauce. Top the pasta with shaved parmesan, minced parsley, and toasted pecans.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 896mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 19g