This Christmas Crack recipe has been around for many years! You may know it as Saltine Cracker toffee but around here, we call it Christmas Crack!
Around here, the holidays mean lots and lots of baking. Yesterday, Kayla and I did something we have been wanting to do for a long time.
She and I have been wanting to do this forever. We had some extra time yesterday so we set out to make goodie boxes filled to the brim with some of our holiday favorites — like this Christmas Crack.
This recipe literally takes about 20 minutes to prepare (and about an hour to chill) and uses only 4 ingredients (5 if you count the flaky sea salt my daughter put on top).
How to Make Christmas Crack
All you need to do is line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place your saltine crackers down in rows.
In a saucepan, combine your butter and brown sugar. Once it has melted together and gets a bit thick, you pour that over your crackers.
Now, pop in the oven for about 5-7 minutes. When it comes out, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and let it sit for a few minutes.
The heat from the crackers is enough to melt the chocolate. Now, using a knife, spread the chips around on top of the crackers.
Sprinkle flaked salt on top and place in the refrigerator until the chocolate sets up and the toffee sauce has hardened.
This blogger even gave this traditional Christmas candy a spin by adding pecans to the top and using Ritz crackers instead of saltines.
The funny thing is — we call this Christmas Crack because once you try one piece, you will be totally addicted and won't be able to stop eating it. The salt and sweet combo always make for a great holiday treat.
Looking for Other Christmas Cookie Goodies? Check These Out
- Kitchen Sink Cookies
- Grinch Punch
- Peppermint Oreo Cake Balls
- Christmas Haystack Cookies
- Salted Brownie Cookies
What is your favorite holiday recipe?
- 35 saltine crackers (about one sleeve, enough to line your tray)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Flake sea salt for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a 10x15-inch sheet pan with nonstick aluminum foil, making sure that the foil completely covers the bottom and sides of the pan. If using regular foil, spray lightly with baking spray. Line the saltine crackers in a single layer on the bottom.
- Place the brown sugar, butter, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until the butter melts. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3 to 5 minutes, just until the mixture comes to a boil and starts to darken. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot brown sugar mixture over the saltine crackers. Spread to evenly coat the crackers.
- Move the pan to the oven and bake for 5 minutes. The caramel will be hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and top with chocolate chips. Place back in the oven for a minute or two to soften the chocolate chips. Remove from the oven and use a knife to spread the chips out.
- Top with flaked sea salt and now place in the refrigerator to set.
- Once set, break apart into pieces and enjoy! Try not to eat it all in one sitting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 1g