You are missing out if you have never had a homemade Italian Stromboli! It's like a pizza and a calzone had a baby! This recipe is easy and everything is made from scratch!
Stephen and I have been married for 30 years. I still remember when he would pick me up for a date and we would go to the local pizzeria and order a stromboli. The layers of pizza dough with fresh pepperoni, salami, and ooey gooey cheese. It was the perfect date night.
Now, here I am all this time later and I am making a delicious homemade stromboli recipe for a special date night dinner! You can also serve this at any game day party or for a pizza night you are having. It makes a great appetizer because it is the perfect party food.
How to Make This Easy Stromboli Recipe
For this recipe, I made the pizza dough recipe and the pizza sauce from scratch, however, you can skip this step and buy store-bought dough and pizza sauce to save time in the kitchen. The pizza sauce is a base of tomato sauce with my favorite spices and seasonings.
Since I had a little extra time on my hands, I wanted to do everything from scratch.
For this recipe you will need the following ingredients —
- jar of pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1 tube of refrigerated pizza dough or homemade pizza dough
- 1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese or you can use Provolone Cheese
- salami (you can also sub out your favorite Italian meats if you don't care for salami)
- Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- egg for an egg wash
You can customize this recipe to suit your family's preferences and tastes. You could even skip the traditional Italian Stromboli recipe and make this into a BBQ chicken stromboli!
Start by rolling out the pizza dough into a rectangle. While you are preparing the pizza dough, turn the oven on to 400 degrees f and let it preheat.
Line a large baking sheet or a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set it aside. You can also use a pizza stone and skip the parchment paper. I baked mine on a cast iron pizza stone.
Roll the dough out and stretch it to the length of your baking sheet. Spread the pizza sauce over the pizza dough leaving about 2 inches around the whole thing.
Top with the salami, pepperoni slices, and ham slices, and then add the shredded mozzarella cheese. If you are a sausage fan, you can even add Italian Sausage here. You can even drizzle a little olive oil on before rolling.
Roll up the dough into thirds jelly-roll style or like a cinnamon roll. The way I do it is I fold one side until I reach the middle section. Then, I take all of that and roll it over again. You should only be rolling twice. Then place it seam side down. It looks like a book when you slice it.
Once you get the stromboli rolled up, cut 4 slits in the top. Use the egg to create an egg wash and brush that on the top. Then I sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and Italian Seasoning on top of the stromboli.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. If you happen to cut into it and the bread in the middle is not done yet, simply cover the stromboli with aluminum foil and place it back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
Once it is done, use a sharp knife and slice it into thick slices on a cutting board. Serve while it's warm or at room temperature. Serve it with extra pizza or marinara sauce.
This baked stromboli will be a meal the whole family will love! Serve with a tossed salad for a complete meal.
Storing the Leftovers
If you have any leftover stromboli, simply place it in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can also wrap it in plastic wrap. Heat in the microwave for about 1 minute or until warmed through. You can also reheat the leftovers in a 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes.
If you have an air fryer, you can also reheat the stromboli in the air fryer.
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza from The Spiffy Cookie
- Cast Iron Deep Dish Pizza from Art of Natural Living
- French Bread Pizza from Palatable Pastime
- Pizza Potato Skins from That Recipe
- Pizza Seasoning from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Stromboli from Jen Around the World
Love Pizza Recipes? Check these easy recipes out!
- These Pizza Pinwheels Make the Perfect Snack for Kids
- Apple and Prosciutto Pizza
- Easy Breakfast Pizza
- Pepperoni Pizza Chicken – a One Pan Dinner
- 1 tube of refrigerated pizza dough (or make your own using my recipe linked above)
- 1/2 cup of pizza sauce (make your own using my recipe linked above)
- 12 slices of salami
- 16 slices of pepperoni
- 6 slices of ham
- 1 1/4 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg beaten + 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 teaspoons of Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Take a large baking sheet and line with parchment paper.
- If you are using homemade pizza dough, make the dough recipe according to the instructions. If you are using the tube of pizza dough, remove it from the package.
- Roll the dough out in a rectangle and then stretch the dough out onto the baking sheet.
- Mix up the homemade pizza sauce according to package directions or pop the top on the jar of pizza sauce. You will need about 1/2 cup for this recipe.
- Spread it out on the dough but leave a 2" space around the edges.
- Top with the salami, pepperoni, and then the ham. Sprinkle on the cheese and then roll the dough up. Roll from the long side to the middle of the dough. Flip all of that over one more time. Pinch and seal the edges. Lay the stromboli seam side down. You should only have rolled it twice.
Slice 4 slits into the top of the dough. Mix the egg and water together and use that as an egg wash for the top of the dough.
Sprinkle on the Parmesan Cheese and Italian Seasoning.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
Serve sliced warm with extra pizza sauce for dipping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 1335mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 27g