This is the best homemade cream cheese frosting recipe you will find on the internet. Delicious buttercream and cream cheese combined together.
This recipe was originally published on October 6, 2013 and has been recently updated.
Recently, I made a simple Paw Patrol cake for a sweet little boy's birthday. Making this cake brought me SO MUCH joy!
I spend a lot of time in my kitchen creating recipes for all of you. That is why today, I am sharing with you how to make THE BEST homemade cream cheese frosting. It is hard enough to hold up to decorating a cake like the one above, and it is also good to top my Homemade Carrot Cake with!
How to Make The Best Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
This is really the best frosting recipe out there. Seriously — if you ever make homemade, you will never want store-bought again. It tastes SO heavenly on everything.
When creaming the frosting, I decided to use my Kitchenaid Artisan Stand mixer instead of a handheld mixer, but you can use either one you choose. I just prefer the stand mixer. For me, it does a better job of combining the powdered sugar and the cream cheese.
Anytime you can find an icing recipe that will stand up to be able to be piped, you know you have a good one.
This is so versatile in that it holds up well to colors, to piping, and if you just want to spread it on, it is really good for that as well.
What Makes This the Perfect Frosting Recipe?
What really makes this frosting recipe so perfect, is the ratio of butter, shortening, cream cheese, and powdered sugar.
Yes, you read that right. This recipe has shortening in it. If you want a truly perfect frosting recipe that pipes on like bakery icing, you need to use shortening.
When you do not use shortening, the icing tends to deflate after a while. This icing will create a crust on it, making it perfect for piping onto any cake.
And, if you want my tip for making a boxed cake taste like a cake from the bakery, I have you covered there as well. Just click that link and you will find out my secret!
- 1 cup of salted butter at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 3 pounds of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 3-5 tablespoons of milk (use this to get the correct consistency for your piping or spreading needs)
- In your stand mixer bowl, cream together butter and shortening for two minutes on low speed. The mixture will be smooth and creamy looking.
- Next, add in vanilla extract and cream cheese. Mix again until everything has combined and is smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar. Be sure to mix slowly. If you do not, you will throw powdered sugar everywhere. The frosting will become extremely thick at this point.
- Once your frosting starts to become stiff and thick, begin adding in your milk, one tablespoon at a time, alternating with powdered sugar and milk. Do this until you reach the consistency you are looking for.
- Frost cakes and cupcakes as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 0gSugar: 67gProtein: 1g