This perfect slow cooker pot roast will become your favorite way to make a pot roast! It’s an amazing fall dinner dish that cannot be beaten.
One of my favorite kitchen appliances to use is my slow cooker. I make everything from soups, desserts, and more with mine. Of course, one of my husband’s favorite dinner recipes that I make is my Perfect Slow Cooker Pot Roast.
Simple ingredients and my own homemade Pot Roast seasoning blend are what make this pot roast pure perfection! If you are interested in watching me make this, you can check out this Facebook live video of my cooking demonstration.
How to Make the Perfect Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Take your pot roast seasoning blend and sprinkle 1/2 cup liberally all over the roast. Use your hands to massage the flavoring into the meat.
Now, you are going to sear your pot roast in a cast-iron skillet (or whatever skillet you have) on all sides. The reason you do this is so that you lock in all those delicious juices that will escape otherwise.
Once you sear the meat, place it in the slow cooker and start chopping your veggies. For the veggies, I used new potatoes, peeled (you can leave the peeling on if you want), peeled and chopped carrots, sliced onions and diced celery.
Add all the chopped veggies right on top of the roast and then add in your other ingredients like beef broth and salt and pepper. You are going to cook your roast on low for 8 1/2 hours or on high for 6 hours.
At the very end add in your corn starch and water to thicken the broth. Your family will absolutely LOVE making this perfect slow cooker pot roast.
I love serving this with a loaf of my no-knead artisan bread.
- You will need my homemade pot roast seasoning blend (or a packet of storebought)
- 3-pound chuck roast
- Olive Oil
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and chunked
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 stalks of celery, chunked
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- Coat all sides of the meat with olive oil. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of seasoning over the entire roast and rub in with your hands.
- Add a little oil to your pan and sear all sides of meat in a skillet, preferably a cast iron skillet.
- Transfer the roast to the slow cooker.
- Place your veggies on to of the roast and add your beef broth to the pot.
- Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix.
- Slow cook on low for 8 1/2 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, mix together 1/4 cup of water and cornstarch to create a slurry. Mix in with the veggies and broth and let it thicken. Serve with huge slices of the pot roast.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Complete Slow Cooker: From Appetizers to Desserts - 400 Must-Have Recipes That Cook While You Play (or Work)
Reynolds Kitchens Premium Slow Cooker Liners - 13 x 21 Inch, 12 Packages of 4 Liners (48 Count)
Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer, Stainless Steel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 152mg Sodium: 490mg Carbohydrates: 29g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 49g
Want More Slow Cooker Recipes? Check These Out!
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Gravy
- Slow Cooker Lasagna Pasta
- Best Ever Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
What is your absolute favorite slow cooker recipe? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.