If you love takeout Orange Chicken, then you will FLIP over this super easy Sticky Blood Orange Chicken. It has all the amazing flavors that you would expect from an Asian chicken dish, but even deeper because of the blood oranges.
The chicken is marinated and then basted with a sweet, spicy, sticky sauce infused with Blood Orange juice, garlic, ginger, chili, and honey. If you love my popular Mongolian Ground Beef Noodles recipe, then you will LOVE this recipe as well.
Blood oranges are only available from December to May. The flavor profile is amazing. They taste like an orange, but they also have a very distinct difference.
They seem slightly less acidic than a regular orange. I think it gives off a raspberry or strawberry flavor and is just a little more potent.
Preparing this recipe is really quite simple. Make sure to get your marinating time in! If you do that, then it makes for a perfect weeknight meal.
It's one of those dinners that once it goes in the oven, that's pretty much it! It takes about 30 minutes to make and at the end, throw in some Honey Butter Brussels to make the meal complete.
Making This Simple Chicken Dish
Start by juicing 3-4 oranges to create 3/4 cup of juice. I like to use this juicing tool when I am juicing oranges. It helps me to get more out.
Whisk the blood orange juice in a small bowl with brown sugar, rice vinegar, minced garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce, honey, red pepper flakes, and water to create a mixture that will be both marinade and sauce.
Marinate the chicken in 2/3 of the mixture for at least 2 hours or overnight. The longer it marinates, obviously, the more intense the flavor will be on the interior of the chicken.
Baste 3-4 times throughout the cooking process with the remaining sauce used to marinate the chicken. While the chicken is cooking, boil the remaining 1/3 of the sauce mixture for about 10 minutes until the sauce is slightly reduced, thickened, and sticky.
Once done, serve with rice, potatoes, or your favorite veggie.
Check out these other chicken dishes
Sticky Blood Orange Chicken
Chicken is marinated in a delicious blood orange sauce. Topped with an even sticker sauce to make this chicken the most flavorful chicken dish you will make.
- 3 pounds of your favorite cut of chicken
- 3/4 cup blood orange juice fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 blood oranges thinnly sliced
- Juice 3-4 Blood Oranges to create 3/4 cup of juice.
- Whisk the blood orange juice in a small mixing bowl with the brown sugar, rice vinegar, minced garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce, honey, red pepper flakes, and water to create both marinade and sauce.
- Marinate the chicken in 2/3 of the sauce mixture (Make sure to reserve the remaining 1/3 for the sauce) in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken pieces on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- After the first 15 minutes of cook time, place a thinly sliced piece of blood orange on each piece of chicken.
- Cook for 30 minutes. During that time, be sure to baste the chicken at least 3 or 4 times.
- Boil the remaining 1/3 of the sauce mixture for about 5-10 minutes until the sauce is slightly reduced, thickened, and sticky.
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken and serve with rice, potatoes, or your favorite veggie.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 921mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 16g