Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sliders — Crispy, juicy, chunks of chicken breasts, coated in a spicy batter and fried to perfection. Then, I serve them in buttery brioche slider buns.
The chicken is left in a buttermilk marinade for a bit and then topped with fresh dill pickles and a spicy ranch sauce. These Spicy buttermilk fried chicken sliders will blow you away with their scrumptious burst of flavor and melt-in-your-mouth texture.
When I made these last night for dinner, there were none left — they were that good.
What makes these sandwiches so delicious is the buttermilk marinade that the chicken chunks soak in before frying them. There is just something about it when you marinade any meat you are going to make.
How to Make Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sliders
One of my favorite all-time chicken sandwiches is Chick-Fil-A. I have had a Popeye's chicken sandwich — it's gross. Don't get me started.
The Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwich is my go-to anytime I am out shopping. That spice mixed with some extra hot sauce makes my mouth water.
A close second is the Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich that I get from Hattie B's Hot Chicken in Nashville, TN. Because of that sandwich, I worked hard to perfect my recipe for The Crispiest Nashville Hot Chicken ever. It is actually spot on.
Of course, I also worked on a Sweet and Spicy Oven-Fried chicken version too and man does that taste good.
But none beats that Spicy Chicken Sandwich. So, we had to give it a go here at home and I can honestly tell you that I think I have nailed it to perfection.
So — here's how I made this delicious spicy sandwich
In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add chicken chunks and marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
Prepare the flour mixture by whisking together flour, cornstarch, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne powder in a shallow bowl.
Add 4 tablespoons of the marinade into the mixture and mix through with a fork. Working with one piece at a time, dredge the chicken with the flour mixture, then dip back into the marinade, and then dip in the flour mixture again, making sure it is completely coated.
Continue until you have all pieces coated. Set them aside and give the flour mixture about 20 minutes to set into the chicken. This will make sure your breading stays on instead of sliding off once you fry it.
While the chicken is resting, make the spicy ranch sauce —
The Perfect Spicy Sauce
Mix together 1/2 cup of ranch dressing with 3 tablespoons of hot sauce, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. You can make your own ranch dressing or use store-bought. Either one works well here.
Heat the oil in a deep pan until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C). Fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and golden brown. The thickest part of the chicken should register 165˚F (75˚C).
I usually like to put my chicken in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes after frying, just to ensure that the inside is all the way done.
Generously spread the spicy Ranch on the toasted brioche buns, and top with sliced pickles, lettuce, and tomato. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Check out these other delicious sandwich recipes
Kicking it Up with Spicy Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Wrap from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Hatch Chile Masala Bhath from Magical Ingredients
- Jalapeno Popper Crostini from The Spiffy Cookie
- Nigerian Chicken Pepper Soup from Pandemonium Noshery
- Sausage Stuffed Mini Peppers from Art of Natural Living
- Skillet Taco Pasta from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Spicy Sage Breakfast Sausage from That Recipe
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sliders
Crispy, juicy, tender chunks of chicken breast, fried to golden perfection and served on buttery brioche buns - made to perfection in the comfort of your home!
For the Buttermilk Marinade
- 1 package of chicken breast tenders, cut in half
- 1 cup buttermilk (add 1 cup of milk plus a tablespoon of vinegar to make homemade buttermilk)
- 2 tablespoons of hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon each salt, pepper, garlic powder
For the Flour Dredge
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons each salt, pepper, garlic powder,
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne powder
For the Spicy Ranch
- 1/2 cup Ranch Dressing
- 2 tablespoons of hot sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
For Frying and Assembling
- cooking oil for frying
- 1 package of Brioche bun sliders, lightly toasted with butter
- Dill Pickle Slices
- Lettuce and tomato
- To make homemade buttermilk: combine a cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. Stir these ingredients together and set aside for 10-15 minutes and the milk will slightly curdle and be ready to be used in the recipe!
- To Toast the buns -- spread butter on the cut side of the bun and place on a cookie sheet. Toast under the broiler in the oven until the buns are golden brown. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add chicken breast chunks and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the flour mixture by whisking together flour, cornstarch, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne powder in a shallow bowl.
- Add 4 tablespoons of the marinade into the mixture and mix through with a fork.
- Working with one piece at a time, dredge the chicken with the flour mixture, then dip into the marinade again and then back through the flour again, making sure it is completely coated. Set the chunks aside on a plate for 15 minutes so that the coating can adhere to the chicken well. This will keep it from sliding off.
- In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by mixing together the Ranch dressing, hot sauce, and cayenne pepper.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C). Fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and golden brown. The thickest part of the chicken should register 165˚F (75˚C).
- Place the chicken on a sheet pan and stick in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Generously spread the Spicy ranch on the toasted brioche buns, and top with sliced pickles, lettuce, and tomato. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 753mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Monday 29th of August 2022
OMG! That's perfection! Marinating adds tons of flavors. I bet this is the best meal!
Thursday 1st of September 2022
It was SO good.
Sunday 28th of August 2022
Love this idea for a chicken sandwich! Crispy and spicy these sound awesome.
Monday 29th of August 2022
They are so good. You will love them if you make them.
Saturday 6th of November 2021
The marinade sounds delicious!
Liz @ Books n' Cooks
Tuesday 2nd of November 2021
This is a favorite of mine to order when we go out - can't wait to make it at home!
Monday 1st of November 2021
This looks delicious! I have been craving a fried chicken sandwich. These sliders will be on the menu soon.