This easy chocolate crockpot cake is simple and delicious and fully of chocolate flavor.
This post was originally published February 7, 2012.
I discovered this cake many years ago when I was working on learning to cook from scratch. We didn't have a lot of money, so I was trying to be creative with the ingredients we had on hand without spending any money.
Everyone raved about how delicious this cake turned out. It is almost like a chocolate cobbler, with a spongey cake on the top and underneath is this amazing chocolate pudding that creates a moist and decadent cake.
I love the fact that this cooks in the crockpot, freeing you up to do other things. There is no fussing over it.
While I was busy working, my cake was cooking. No forgotten timer, no overcooking the cake. It just bakes away in the crockpot!
The hardest part about this cake is mixing all the ingredients together. From there, it becomes a dump and go dessert — my favorite kind!
How to Make a Chocolate Crockpot Cake
To make this cake, you are going to mix all your dry ingredients together. Then add in your wet ingredients.
Mix it all together and then put it in the crockpot. Make sure you get it pretty even.
Then you are going to top it with a boiling hot liquid mixture. While the cake cooks, this liquid transfers to the bottom making that awesome pudding mixture.
Grab my favorite Pioneer Woman Crockpot here!
Let it cook on low for 2 hours. Then remove the lid and let it sit with the crockpot unplugged and turned off for 20 minutes.
This gives it time to cool off. Trust me, if you do not do this, you will burn the roof of your mouth because the cake is so piping hot.
I like to serve this with a dollop of homemade whipped cream and a big scoop of my No Churn Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
Looking for More Crockpot or Slow Cooker Recipes? Check This List Out
- Crockpot Beef and Broccoli
- Crockpot Apple Cider
- Slow Cooker Ham and Beans
- Slow Cooker Lasagna Pasta
- Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 6 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
FOR THE FUDGE TOPPING
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 cups Boiling Water
For the cake:
- Mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in milk, melted butter, and vanilla until combined. Spread the batter over the bottom of a large crockpot.
For the fudge topping:
- Mix together the brown sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle mixture over the cake batter.
- Pour the boiling water over the top. DO NOT STIR! Cover and cook on High for 2 hours.
- The cake will be very hot! Turn off heat, and remove the lid. Let sit 20-30 minutes before serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 472mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 2gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g