If you are looking for a great steak recipe, this marinated grilled skirt steak is perfect.
I have been playing around with different cuts of steak recently. My newest favorite is skirt steak. If you know how to cook it and cut it right, it will become your new favorite too. I even use this cut of steak in my Grilled Steak Alfredo as well and it is amazing.
This steak recipe is first marinaded with some everyday kitchen spices and then grilled on high heat for a total of about 8 minutes and then sliced against the grain.
This gives it the most tender flavor you will ever taste. Of course, your cut of meat and where you buy it is important too. I've been buying a lot of local meat lately and I am so proud of the flavor and the cut itself.
The Perfect Marinade
Whenever you are making steak, if you have time to marinade them first, that will always help break down the meat so that when you cook it, it gets super tender.
I learned this when I took a beef cooking class online.
I usually just add everything to a freezer bag and let it sit for at least 30 minutes — more if I have time, but 30 minutes is good enough if you are pressed for time.
For this marinade we used —
- Olive oil
- Worchestershire sauce
- cayenne pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- salt and black pepper
Once you get everything in the bag, add your skirt steak and then let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
When you get ready to grill, remove from the bag and place it on your heated gas grill and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side.
You do not want to cook this cut of meat to well done. You want to make sure you cook it either medium rare or medium. Do not go any further or you may find it a little on the chewy side.
You can serve this steak for tacos, on a plate with a delicious side of these Everything Bagel Roasted Sweet Potatoes, or you can top it with my easy chimichurri sauce.
When I serve this cut of steak with tacos, I like to place them in this fun taco holder.
Marinated Grilled Skirt Steak
This easy skirt steak dish will be on the table in no time flat.
- 1 skirt steak
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of Worchestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Remove the skirt steak from the package and if it still has the white membrane on the back, peel and remove. This will make your meat more tender when grilling.
- Put all the spices listed above into a ziplock bag and then add in your skirt steak. Seal the bag.
- Push the steak around in the spices until the steak is coated. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to marinate.
- Heat your grill until hot.
- Remove the steak from the bag and place it on the hot grill and cook 3-6 minutes per side until the meat is cooked medium rare (130 degrees). You can cook to medium (135-140). I would not cook it any longer than that.
- Remove from the grill and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steak in half and then slice against the grain for the most tender cut of meat.
- Enjoy with a sauce or on tacos.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g