This shaker-style lemon pie is absolutely amazing and no other dessert compares to it. The tart lemons with their rinds become sweet and edible thanks to the sugar marinade before cooking it. Read on to learn more about this delicious pie and how I found out about it.
Welcome to #LemonWeek 2022 hosted by Lynn from Fresh April Flours and Rebecca from Devour Dinner. This week is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle. I may have received product samples from these sponsors to help in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. Come join me and my fellow Lemon Week bloggers as we bring you recipes from appetizers to drinks to entrées and desserts!
What is a Shaker Lemon Pie
Shakers, descendants of an 18th-century Christian ascetic movement, believe that when you eat, you should “shaker your plate”—finish every last crumb.
Stephen and I visited the Shaker Village here in Shakertown located in Harrodsburg, KY three years ago. I found the recipe hanging on the wall.
Since lemon is one of my favorite flavors, I was super intrigued to learn more! Did you know that you can eat the rinds of the lemon?
During dinner that night, I ordered a slice. I wanted to taste it and that one bite sent me into heaven. It was sublime.
I knew I was going to have to make this pie. Since that time I have made it about 4 times. Every single time, it is as good as it was the first time I ate it.
This recipe features a double crust. You can use store-bought or you can use my double crust pastry recipe and make it from scratch.
This pie comes together in no time flat and the longest part of it is letting the lemon slices soak in the sugar.
What Goes in a Shaker Lemon Pie?
Simple ingredients go into this pie — eggs, vanilla, sugar, lemon, and a beautiful flaky crust. Of course, if you are going to use vanilla, you have to choose the best — Rodelle.
The vanilla extract adds a little extra flavor to the pie, and I love the gourmet feel of it.
Once the pie is assembled, it cooks in the oven for about 30 minutes. It might need to cook a few more minutes to brown the crust.
Eat it warm or cold. Top the slice with ice cream or fresh whipped cream.
Tuesday #LemonWeek Recipes
- Lemon Meringue Pie by Fresh April Flours
- Pink Lemonade Vodka Cocktail by The Fresh Cooky
- Lemon Ice Cream by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large lemons, thinly sliced, seeds discarded
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, plus more
- 10 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 tbsp. ice-cold water
- Slice lemons paper thin and discard seeds. You can use a mandolin for this.
- Toss sugar, salt, and lemon slices in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least two hours up to 24 hours.
- Make the crust: Pulse flour, butter, shortening, and salt in a food processor into pea-size crumbles. Add water; pulse until dough forms. Divide dough in half and flatten into disks; wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 425°. Whisk eggs in a bowl until frothy. Whisk in melted butter, vanilla, and 3 tbsp. flour; stir into reserved lemon mixture and set it aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk of dough into a 12″ round; fit into a 9″ pie plate. Trim edges using a knife, leaving 1″ dough overhanging on the edge of the plate. Now, pour in the filling.
- Roll the remaining disk dough into a 12″ round and place it over top of the pie. Pinch top and bottom edges together and fold under; crimp edges and cut 5 steam vents in the top crust.
- Bake until crust is golden, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven to 350°; bake until golden brown, 25–30 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
Enter to Wina Rafflecopter giveaway
To see the list of prizes and the terms and conditions, please refer back to my 15 Minute Lemon Pasta Recipe.
Check Out This List of Other Delicious Pie Recipes
For the Filling
For the Crust
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 554Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 238mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 1gSugar: 51gProtein: 7g