This delicious Slow Cooker Southern Style Green Beans recipe will have your family shouting from the rooftops! Green Beans are in abundance right now and fresh is the way to go for sure.
My husband and I have been buying ALL kinds of fresh veggies this garden season. I did not grown any beans or potatoes, but we found a gardener in our area that had some for sale — and they delivered them to the house for us!
We bought about 4 pounds and I had fun getting them all prepped and ready for the freezer. Snapping them brought back a lot of memories for me as a kid helping my mom — so I decided to make these delicious Southern Style Green Beans in the crockpot. These are the best that I have made so far.
How to Make Slow Cooker Southern Style Green Beans
You will need to start with about 3 pounds of fresh green beans and 10 new potatoes.
I make sure to wash everything off and then snap the beans. You take both ends off and then just break the bean up into 2 or 3 pieces — trying to get them as close to the same size as you can.
Now, quarter or halve your potatoes. You can leave the peel on. That is totally fine.
To the slow cooker, add in your bacon, beans, potatoes, 1 cup of chicken broth, 1 teaspoon of seasoning salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 2 teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, and the grease from frying the bacon.
Cook on low for 8 is hours or cook on high for 6 hours. Once it is done, taste for seasoning and add more salt or pepper if needed.
To serve, remove the beans from the juice in the slow cooker and plate up with the potatoes and bacon and enjoy!
Looking for other great Southern classic recipes?
- Southern Fried Apples
- Southern Style White Beans and Ham
- Southern Peach Tea
- Southern Breakfast Biscuits
- Old Fashioned Cherry Cheesecake
- Old Fashioned Sage Cornbread Dressing
- Old Fashioned Banana Pudding
- Fry the bacon on the stove and set aside to cool. Once cool, roughly chop the bacon. Place the bacon and the drippings into the slow cooker.
- Quarter the potatoes and place them in the slow cooker.
- Take the green beans and trim off the ends and then break into 2" pieces.
- Place the green beans in the slow cooker.
- Top with chicken broth and all the spices. Cover with water until the beans are covered.
- Cook on low 8 hours and on high for 6 hours. Taste to see if any other seasonings are needed before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 418mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g