This recipe for roasted whole butternut squash is the perfect side dish for the fall. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, this would be the perfect dinner idea with a side salad for a complete meal.
Welcome to the fourth annual #FallFlavors! We have 21 bloggers sharing over SIXTY recipes using fall ingredients like squash, apples, maple, pecans, and many more. Follow #FallFlavors to see all the delicious recipes on social media.
Butternut squash is one of my favorite veggies. It is so versatile and can be used in SO many amazing ways.
For instance, you can roast it in cubes and use it in a kale salad. You can also use it in place of taco meat and make butternut squash tacos.
However, one of my favorite ways to eat it is by roasting it whole like in the photo above. By roasting it, the heat softens the butternut squash but also caramelizes it a little.
Then, I like to top it with a drizzle of honey as well as some roasted pepita seeds and a sprinkling of Parmesan Cheese.
It really is a simple side dish that dresses up any dinner table. I like to serve this alongside my Sweet and Spicy Oven Fried Chicken. It would also make a great side dish for my Mongolian Ground Beef Noodles.
Check out these other delicious butternut squash recipes
- Parmesan Butternut Squash Gratin
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- The Best Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Perfect Roasted Butternut Squash
- Apple and Prosciutto Pizza with Butternut Squash Sauce
Wednesday #FallFlavor Recipes
- Cranberry Orange Bourbon Cocktail from Family Around The Table
- Orchards be Dram-ed Cocktail from The Spiffy Cookie
- Pumpkin Spice White Russian from Our Crafty Cocktails
Breakfasts and Breads
- Apple Pie Pancakes from Magical Ingredients
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Applesauce from An Affair from the Heart
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal from Jolene's Recipe Journal
Mains and Sides
- Chicken Parm Stuffed Spaghetti Squash from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Chicken Sausage with Apples from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Roasted Whole Butternut Squash from Jen Around the World
- Sauerkraut with Tomato Sauce from Palatable Pastime
- Air Fryer Candied Walnuts from Devour Dinner
- Caramel Apple Pie from Sweet Beginnings
- Easy Apple Pie Cake from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Instant Pot Apple Cinnamon Cheesecake from Blogghetti
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding from Hostess At Heart
- Old Fashioned Ritz Pie from Art of Natural Living
- Pecan Butter Cookies from Books n' Cooks
- Pecan Pie Bars from Best Cookie Recipes
- Pumpkin Caramel Trifle Mason Jar Dessert from Our Crafty Mom
- 2 whole butternut squash
- olive oil
- pepita seeds
- Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the butternut squash in half longwise. Use a spoon and scoop the seeds and pulp out and discard.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the halves on the baking sheet, cut side up.
- Drizzle on olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- The squash is done when you stick a fork in them and the pulp is fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle honey over the squash. Top with pepitas and Parmesan Cheese. Season with more salt and pepper as needed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 93Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g