This easy Sweet Potato Casserole is a classic holiday side dish! It's made with sweetened mashed sweet potatoes and topped with fluffy marshmallows! You will not find a better side dish than this for the holidays!
Y'all — I cannot believe that I have not shared my amazing sweet potato casserole recipe with you. Out of all the holiday side dishes I make, this one will forever and always be my favorite.
While this is a traditional Thanksgiving side dish recipe, you can totally make this dish any time during the year — and would make a great addition to your Christmas dinner as well.
Why My Sweet Potato Casserole Tastes Better Than Most
People have RAVED about how amazing this casserole is and I will tell you my secret.
While most people boil their sweet potatoes, I roast mine in the oven. I feel like when you boil sweet potatoes, you remove some of that great sweet potato flavor and it gets watered down.
When you roast them, you bring out the naturally sweet flavor of the sweet potato, plus you get little charred bits in them as well.
This is by far one of our favorite Thanksgiving side dishes.
Save yourself some time and cook the potatoes for the Sweet Potato Casserole a day or two ahead of time. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork. Then place them on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes at 425 degrees F.
When you are ready to assemble the casserole, add the spices and other ingredients. Mix well and pour it into a 13×9 baking dish.
Top with mini marshmallows and then bake in the oven until the mixture is warmed through and the marshmallows have browned.
Love sweet potatoes? Check out these other recipes
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato Tacos
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Roll Cake
- Everything Bagel Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Bake the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes or until a knife inserts easily into the center of the potato.
- Remove from the oven and peel the skins off.
- Place the flesh in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the remaining ingredients minus the marshmallows.
- Use a hand mixer and mix up the sweet potatoes until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and then top with mini marshmallows.
- Drop the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for about 30 minutes or just until the marshmallows are golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 22gProtein: 4g